Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FFL Transfers #2

I have a couple of guns I want to post for sale here but I've always done face to face sales in my own state. I've never sold a gun out of state before and I'm pretty sure I know how I need to do it but I want to make sure before I do anything. Do I first talk with my FFL and make sure he is willing to do the transfer? Then the buyer has his FFL send their FFL form to my FFL? Then I bring the gun to my FFL and we do the paperwork and he ships it to the buyers FFL? Is that all there is to it or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Pete :cheers:

If the buyer's FFL allows private individuals to send guns, you don't need an FFL on your side. They will want a copy of your drivers license usually. However, you can only send the gun overnight through FedEx/UPS. Otherwise, you have to get your FFL to ship it to the buyer's FFL. Your FFL can ship Priority Mail, which is a lot cheaper. Your FFL will want a copy of the buyer's FFL's license (and vice versa.)

Edited by AustinMike

I have a couple of guns I want to post for sale here but I've always done face to face sales in my own state. I've never sold a gun out of state before and I'm pretty sure I know how I need to do it but I want to make sure before I do anything. Do I first talk with my FFL and make sure he is willing to do the transfer? Then the buyer has his FFL send their FFL form to my FFL? Then I bring the gun to my FFL and we do the paperwork and he ships it to the buyers FFL? Is that all there is to it or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Pete,

What they said..

I've done it a bunch of times from MA - no prob at all - feel free to call or e-mail w/questions.

Thanks,

Pete,

What they said..

I've done it a bunch of times from MA - no prob at all - feel free to call or e-mail w/questions.

Paul,

Does it matter that the gun is not Mass Compliant?

Thanks,

Pete

If the buyer's FFL allows private individuals to send guns, you don't need an FFL on your side. They will want a copy of your drivers license usually. However, you can only send the gun overnight through FedEx/UPS. Otherwise, you have to get your FFL to ship it to the buyer's FFL. Your FFL can ship Priority Mail, which is a lot cheaper. Your FFL will want a copy of the buyer's FFL's license (and vice versa.)

Actually, only handguns need to be shipped overnight. Non-NFA rifles and shotguns can be shipped with USPS.

Paul,

Does it matter that the gun is not Mass Compliant?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete,

My understanding is if you are sending the pistol out of state to an FFL then it is up to that FFL to determine if he can transfer the pistol to an individual - once he accepts the pistol it's on his/her books.

In Mass an FFL can accept a non-Mass Compliant firearm - they just cannot transfer to an individual.

If you send direct to an FFL - get a signed copy of their FFL and all shipping documentation.

If you are uneasy sending direct to an FFL direct then go through a local FFL - I know Carl at Four Seasons will ship - he usually charges $40 + cost of shipping.

Paul

So if I have the buyers FFL send a copy of their FFL to me directly I can ship the gun to that FFL myself? What paperwork will I need to send in stating I no longer own this firearm? Do I just fill out an FA 10 stating that I sold it to the new FFL or is there a different form?

Thanks for your help.

Pete

When it's transferred you'll no longer be titled as "owner of the gun". You don't have to do anything other than overnight it to the receiving FFL IF they will accept from an individual. A good majority of them wont, I don't know why. Once he receives it he'll transfer it to the new owner and you're done with it.

An FFL has to account to the ATF for every gun that goes through their business. Receiving from another FFL is the best paper trail. The guy that does my transfers will accept from an individual, but only if they fax a valid driver license. That way he's at least got that documentation of where the gun came from in case of a problem.

• 1 year later...