Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.56/223 rifle brass

hopalong

OK,

Have been shooting the "Mouse" for a little while and am getting a pile of brass

What to do?

I have over half of it in 5.56 LC with WIN 04(crimped primers) and tzz. I know all these are MIL spec and have crimped primers and They are likely the BEST brass out there. :devil:

I have some S&B .223 brass................is it worth the trouble to reload ??? I know S&B pistol is not very good at all (.45 esp) or do I just sell it in the "scrap brass" buckets

Hop

I have over half of it in 5.56 LC with WIN 04(crimped primers) and tzz. I know all these are MIL spec and have crimped primers and They are likely the BEST brass out there. :devil:

I have some S&B .223 brass... is it worth the trouble to reload ??? I know S&B pistol is not very good at all (.45 esp) or do I just sell it in the "scrap brass" bucket

You can sell or reload .223 brass with ease. Your decision. IMHO the best single piece of equipment to reload rifle brass is the Lee Collet Die. It's worth buying as a separate die. That alone will double the reloading life of your brass.

:cheers:

Edited by rfwobbly

I have some S&B .223 brass... is it worth the trouble to reload ??? I know S&B pistol is not very good at all (.45 esp) or do I just sell it in the "scrap brass" bucket

You can sell or reload .223 brass with ease. Your decision. IMHO the best single piece of equipment to reload rifle brass is the Lee Collet Die. It's worth buying as a separate die. That alone will double the reloading life of your brass.

:cheers:

And the Lee Collet Die is special in what way...? :mellow:

I can see the collet die saving brass as you are only resizing the neck, plus you are not working the brass as much as when you squeeze it way under size then expand it back up with a sizer die. The concentricity is also reportedly very good with a collet die.

My problem with the collet die is that it doesn't resize the body, so semi-auto reliability may be compromised. I tried the collet die once, fairly quickly went back to regular dies, just seemed to be less worry and less fiddle factor, for me. For bolt guns the collet die may be the heat.

Since this is a 5.56/.223 brass question, how about once fired FC 08 or Speer 07? The LE agency switched from the Speer to Federal recently so I am adding every thing to the Lake City collection to reload this winter. The brass was fired though HK 416's and I have a Bushmaster so I know full length resizing is a good idea as well as a first time trim. The brass is crimped so I plan to buy a Dillon Super Swage, so are there any other things I should be planning to do before reloading. Bullets are Midsouth Varmit 55gr and powder will be H335, rifle is a Bushmaster Dissipator with 1-9 twist.