Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cancelling subscriptions

kevin c

Blew my top on the phone last night. A major weekly periodical refused to accept that I no longer wanted to read it, and kept sending me issues and bills, each of which I marked cancelled and sent back in. So now they send me threatening letters about referrals to collections.

I call their non toll free number and tell them to cancel, again, for the tenth time, in the past six months. The drone on the other end of the line, rather than admit that they only look in the envelopes for checks, and throw out anything that doesn't have one, unread, has the utter gall to say the post office "clearly" had lost the correspondence.

TEN TIMES???!!!. I sort of kept my cool until she had the temerity to pause and sigh, and then repeat herself. I managed to hang up without blowing out her eardrum while questioning her geneology, morals, ethics and choice of employer. :angry2::angry2:

A friend of mine had a problem with Fredrick's of Hollywood. Somehow his VERY straight laced mother who was 80+ years old got on their mailing list. She called and asked them to take her off the list. So she started getting two copies of everything. Another call, now three copies.

My friend called and was a bit more forceful. Four copies.

Each copy came with a "postage will be paid by addressee" envelope (this was before the internet). He epoxied this to a brick and wrote on it "the next one is on a VW Beetle; Cancel any and every subscription to this address"

They never saw another catalog.

Yeah, I can't seem to get rid of Time or Reader's Digest either. I figured that I would quit paying and they would quit sending- WRONG. They tried to send me to collections. I called them and told them that I was extremely offended by the filth that they printed and that I would take them to small claims court if any of their smut was ever sent to my home again. After a "well, umm.... exactly what filth are you referring to sir?" they agreed to quit sending me magazines or bills.

we have a local news paper here in germantown. i decide we no longer need the paper. i didn't call and cancel, just stopped paying. i occasionally get a bill, but just chunk it in the trash, but still get the paper. hmm how long has it been?..5 years

lynn

Just write REFUSED on everything you get from them and chuck it back in the mail.

That way they have to pay postage twice.

That does get their attention. I could not get a book club to stop sending me books. So the last one they sent, I swept up my shop floor (I'm a knifemaker) and filled up the box with scrap steel and grinding dust. That took care of it. :roflol:

Stay Safe,

A.T.