Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alliant Power Pistol

joshua

Is this powder any good? I don't see anyone here posting/raving about it. Is it clean, is it good for 40 or 38 sup major loads? Any inputs about the advantage and disadvantage of Alliant Power Pistol will be appreciated. josh

Probably why you are the only one replying to my post. :D:(;) I was thinking of getting an 8lb keg but what I've read and heard that Power Pistol is dirty when used with 40 loads, and too quick for comp work in the supers. No best of both worlds there, I should've posted subject title, "What is the best single powder to use for both 40 in limited and 38 sup in open class?"

There isn't one. You're after two different objectives.

In a non-conmped gun, powder =recoil. I like the load that uses the least amount of powder possible. This usually means a heavier bullet and faster powder.

In an open gun, you after "feel" and "flat" which means different things to different people.

SA

Yeah, you'll probably have to pick one or the other to be sub-optimal.

For a while I shot N350 in .40 because I had a lot of it I was using for Super. Not ideal for Ltd, but great for Open.

Probably getting a powder that 'works' in 38 Super will be more challenging of the two.

Power Pistol is basically made for 9mm nato type rounds, It is awesome for full power .40 loads, and works great in 9mm, super, etc.

As far as Ramshot Shillouette, it is repackaged WAP(win action pistol) perfect for 9x23 and 10mm, it is all I use for 10mm! Good stuff. You wont go wrong either way, but I would buy a couple of pounds of powder to try before buying an 8lber of it. Been there, done that! Doug