Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My quest to load .40 S&W

Anon

I'll update this first post, as I buy the supplies I'll need

I already have a Dillon RL550B. I want to load .40 S&W, and I figure reloading is cheaper than buying loaded, right?

Reloading equipment:

(Dillon, ordered through benos.com)

$21.95 14416 Seating Die - 40 S&W/10mm

$40.95 20179 RL 550B Caliber Conv: 40 S&W/10mm

$19.95 14435 Crimp Die - 40 S&W/10mm

$7.99 Shipping

( http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_p...28be6dd270d06b3 )

$22.00 Undersize Reloading Die

$7.00 Shipping

Bullets

(www.missouribullet.com)

$64.00 1,000 - 180 Grain TCFP

$9.85 Shipping

Brass

$70.00 Range brass from private seller (2,000+)

Still needed:

Powder

Primers

I don't really have a question here, I'm just cataloging the things I used to get up and running with a new caliber.

9mm and 40 use the same Dillon shell plate, you can save a couple bucks buying just the powder die and locator buttons.

Bullets are best purchased at the Post office flat rate box quantity. Generally for 180's about 2500 per a $10 flat rate box. If your supplier wont give you a "case price" meaning a flat rate box full price find a different supplier as they are gouging you on shipping. Dont get the Dillon crimp die especially if your loading alot of cast. Get the Lee factory crimp die. It has a carbide sizer ring so on the last stage the bullet is full length sized to remove any trace of flare left over from the flare and seat station. Powder and primers you can either get raked over the coals buying small quantities or bight the bullet and order 70lbs from Powder Valley under one Hazmat fee.

...Dont get the Dillon crimp die especially if your loading alot of cast. ...

Too late! Already ordered.

Primers/powder, I'll probably buy locally. I haven't even started the process of figuring out what powder to buy. I plan to load minor and major (5" XD). I'd really like to have one powder for each load.

...Dont get the Dillon crimp die especially if your loading alot of cast. ...

Too late! Already ordered.

Primers/powder, I'll probably buy locally. I haven't even started the process of figuring out what powder to buy. I plan to load minor and major (5" XD). I'd really like to have one powder for each load.

Use Unique for lead bullets. Works fine, cheap and it's everywhere.

Jim

The Dillon crimp die works fine for moly bullets like Masterblaster so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work just as well with cast bullets.

The Dillon sizer die also works well with guppied Glock brass if you modify the die slightly (belt sander...do a search and you'll find the details).