Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MRI results (2 herniated disks)

boba

Well, I got my MRI results back today, I have two herniated disks C5-C6 and C6-C7. That explains why I was getting worse instead of better. I have gone from no-restrictions, do what you can tolerate to no lifting, pushing, shoving....etc. I actually got feeling better and had a couple of good days, just dull pain (that's when I took the video of my shooting). Sunday the pain instead of being dull came back with a vengance and I am living on the Lortabs for pain right now. The workmans comp doc is scheduling an appointment with a neurosurgeon this week. I am confident I will be back to full speed soon though and am ready to get back to work and life as I know it.

Edited by boba

Hello: Back problems suck. Mine was bad about 6 months ago to the point I was walking on all fours. I relaxed the back and started working on my stomach muscles and doing some exercises. Guess what, it is alot better without any cutting, needles or products added to my body. Hope your back gets better. Good luck. Thanks, Eric

I blew out the discs between C6/C7 and C7/T1. I also broke the parts that interlock between C7 and T1. I went for almost a full year before getting it fixed. I still have some loss of dexterity in my right hand and numbness when my head is turned the wrong way. Can the herniation be repaired or is it completely blown out the way mine was?

The only good part is that when they crammed cadaver bone fragments in to regain the proper spacing between the vertebrae, it made me 7mm taller! :)

MyNeck.jpg

I blew out the discs between C6/C7 and C7/T1. I also broke the parts that interlock between C7 and T1. I went for almost a full year before getting it fixed. I still have some loss of dexterity in my right hand and numbness when my head is turned the wrong way. Can the herniation be repaired or is it completely blown out the way mine was?

The only good part is that when they crammed cadaver bone fragments in to regain the proper spacing between the vertebrae, it made me 7mm taller! :)

MyNeck.jpg

Mike, I haven't seen the neurosurgeon yet. The workman's comp doctor will call me once it gets scheduled. I guess they have to get clearance from the carrier first. Hopefully it won't be long.

no lifting, pushing, shoving

Ummm...how do they expect you to live?

Strengthening your core is more than likely gonna be better than anything else for you.

Jake hopefully that will be the path that is taken.

I have two badly herniated discs and one that isn't as bad, bottom three. Most of the damage was done about 4 years ago. Chiropractor, muscle relaxers and Miller Lite all work wonders when it gets bad. Some days are better than others, at least my legs don't shut off anymore.....

I herniated L5/S1 riding around northern Iraq in a vehicle with less than ideal suspension and decked out in body armor laden with way too much ammo, radios, camelbak, etc.

Opted for microdiscetomy and havent regretted it a minute. Incision was about 3/4 of an inch, and I walked out of the hospital the same day, in at 8am, out at 5pm.

It really depends on exactly how bad your herniation is....if the "extruded" spongy material that has escaped from its sheath (the herniation) is pressing on a nerve, no amount of core strengthening is going to push the extruded material back in place and every day that the material pushes against a nerve, you risk long term damage to that nerve.

I would read ALOT about ruptured, herniated, slipped, extruded (all basically the same thing) discs then have a very detailed discussion with the knifeman IMO.

I herniated L5/S1 riding around northern Iraq in a vehicle with less than ideal suspension and decked out in body armor laden with way too much ammo, radios, camelbak, etc.

Opted for microdiscetomy and havent regretted it a minute. Incision was about 3/4 of an inch, and I walked out of the hospital the same day, in at 8am, out at 5pm.

It really depends on exactly how bad your herniation is....if the "extruded" spongy material that has escaped from its sheath (the herniation) is pressing on a nerve, no amount of core strengthening is going to push the extruded material back in place and every day that the material pushes against a nerve, you risk long term damage to that nerve.

I would read ALOT about ruptured, herniated, slipped, extruded (all basically the same thing) discs then have a very detailed discussion with the knifeman IMO.

In 1988 I laid in traction in the hospital getting morphine shots every 3 hours. I had herniated the disk between the L5-S1 and the plan at that time was to be in traction for 7 days then PT until I got better. On the 4th day my bladder was no longer working and they decided to do surgery the next day. Less that 24 hours later I was going home, I took only asprin for a few days after the surgery. I was one of the lucky ones. The herniation I have now is out of it's casing and against the nerves. I have all the normal arm pain, numbness, hand tingling, burning in my neck plus the headache and my vision is effected. I will go the route of no surgery if I can avoid it. I should hear tomorrow when I go to the Neurosurgeon.

Edited to add thank you for serving.

Edited by boba