Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with Powder Measure

I`m starting to have trouble with my powder measure on my RL 550. I have the early thin style body with the new collar and roller. The problem is the bellcrank is slipping off the powder bar at the top of the press stroke. (Powder bar is pushed all the way open) I have cleaned and checked everything on the measure and failsafe kit.

I do not see anything wrong. The only thing that I see that may be the problem, is on the powder bar where the bell crank button rides in the powder bar slot, is worn. Looks like a half moon cut in it. It looks like it may have been binding or it`s just plain old wore out. I`m not sure though. Has anyone ever had this problem?

I`m going to see what some say here, and then call Dillon to tell them about the problem.

Thanks

I`m starting to have trouble with my powder measure on my RL 550. I have the early thin style body with the new collar and roller. The problem is the bellcrank is slipping off the powder bar at the top of the press stroke. (Powder bar is pushed all the way open) I have cleaned and checked everything on the measure and failsafe kit.

I do not see anything wrong. The only thing that I see that may be the problem, is on the powder bar where the bell crank button rides in the powder bar slot, is worn. Looks like a half moon cut in it. It looks like it may have been binding or it`s just plain old wore out. I`m not sure though. Has anyone ever had this problem?

I`m going to see what some say here, and then call Dillon to tell them about the problem.

Thanks

Any chance the little plastic bellcrank "cube" (Part #13871) that rides in the slot is missing? I had one escape and surprisingly, it ran quite well without it for however long before I noticed it gone.

Nope. The plastic cube spacer is in there, and the bellcrank screw has the correct tension. (Not too tight where it crushes the warped washer)

GentlemenJim, I did weigh check some of the loads when I started to have the problem. I caught one case that was undercharged. :wacko: I don`t want to start pulling bullets. If I get a squib, then I`ll start pulling. UGH!

Edited by Leadfoot

Hello: Check the bellcrank bolt again for being tight. I had one that the threads in the powder measure were stripped. It was an older type with no locknut. Also look at the bellcrank bolt. There are 2 different bolts that I know off. One has a longer shoulder than the other. You have to match the right bolt and bellcrank together or else it will not work. Thanks, Eric

Curious...How many rounds have you loaded on the machine?

I`m going to guess it has to be closer to a hundred thousand. I`ve had this press since 1985 and all parts are still original.

Hello: Check the bellcrank bolt again for being tight. I had one that the threads in the powder measure were stripped. It was an older type with no locknut. Also look at the bellcrank bolt. There are 2 different bolts that I know off. One has a longer shoulder than the other. You have to match the right bolt and bellcrank together or else it will not work. Thanks, Eric

I did check to see if it was tight. I even tightened it down more and it did not solve the problem. The bolt and threads are fine. These parts have been on it for 23 years. It`s just worn out.

There should be a brass, if I recall correctly, allen head screw that is designed to shear off with too much pressure. I'll bet it's broken. This happened to me and Dillon sent the upgrade parts.

Edited by scooterj