Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Shooter's Approach To Practice

I've seen this book advertised for a few monthes now in the Front Sight, but figured it wouldn't be what I expected and thus a waste of money. A few weekends ago I find myself at the Area 8 Championship and low and behold one of the vendors has a copy. This book is set up nice, very organized. The author goes through some basics on technique, but then gets in to real great detail on how to move (entering/exiting boxes, shooting on the move, opening doors, ports). He lays down a philosophy for how to organize your live fire sessions, and gives you a 6 week sample. The back of the book is an appendix of all the live fire drills he uses.

I thought I had a good live fire training routine prior to reading this book, now I know otherwise. I think the drills and awesome descriptions of how to move will definetly help me improve faster. I wish I had this book three years ago when I started ipsic. The author uses a lot of Rob Leatham training technique.

My only gripe with the book is that it didn't offer more advice/guidance on dry firing. <_<

www.shootersparadise.com - which is the website for Phil Strader's place in Woodbridge, VA. They had a number of copies in stock when I bought my copy last night. Drop Phil an e-mail or give them a call.

• 1 year later...

The book is well worth the money. The author is a good friend of mine and I use it all the time. He is a GM and a firearms instructor at FLETC in Brunswick GA. He put lots of time into developing it. I think you can get it from

https://www.maxmichel.com/store1/agora.cgi.

Good luck and remember to tell Sam that Rob reccomended his book if you ever get to meet him, he will know who you are talking about.

DvC...

Rob Jessee

• 6 months later...

I have his book too. It's kind of a cross between Matt Burkett's and Steve Anderson's, with more instruction on technique. I think it might be the best intro out there.

Quick aside, I was up at FLETC for the instructor course two years ago, and Sam was one of the instructors for our course. Nice guy and it was nice to have a REAL shooter up there so the tactical guys wouldn't try to change how I shot.

I think he's part of the reason they are teaching MODERN techniques up at FLETC. No weaver!!!!

Picked it up at the USPSA Area 6 Match 2005. I've been working through the practice sessions. Very nice organization and layout. I recommend it for anyone not shooting B Limited.

Mhearn

B Limited