Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.354" bullets in .38 Super load

burger

Just double checking.  I have read where it is ok to use  9mm bullets (.355) for 38 super reloads.  I currently use Hornady 125 gr. jhp bullets which mic at .356.  However, I have some Winchester 9mm 115 gr. jhp bullets that I would like to use.  These bullets measure .354.  Is it ok to use these.  If so, will the accuracy suffer.  Shooting an STI with a comp.  Thanks.

Sorry to disagree, but with gun powder NEVER compare burn rates to guess at powder loads.  Consider every powder to be totally different just for safety's sake, and try to find a tip on the powder you want to use from the group.  Everything else being the same my gun runs 0.6 grains more of 3n38 (than 3n37) to reach the same power factor.  My tribrid gun in 38 supercomp takes 9.9 grains of 3n38 to make major with 115's.  If you don't have any extra holes in your barrel before the comp you should try around 9.5 grains of 3n38 to make major in your gun with the 115 grain bullets.  

Bam Bam is right.  3n38 is not that close to 3n37.  N350 sits in between them on the burn chart if I am not mistaken.  3n38 definitely has less compensator flash than the other two, a little low light shooting comparison will illustrate that fact.

The comp flash idea makes me think... do you suppose that could be any indication of the effectiveness of a powder/comp combination?  Would you want to see more flash to show the fiery gases at work, or less flash to be a sign that most gas has been used?  Hmmmmm.

That is interesting...is the excessive comp flash wasted powder going up or is that what we want the comp to do?  I had previously thought the less flash, the more effective the combination.  The 3n38 load that I was dealing with feels softer than the other two...I guess that is what matters.

• 2 years later...
However, I have some Winchester 9mm 115 gr. jhp bullets that I would like to use.  These bullets measure .354.  Is it ok to use these.  If so, will the accuracy suffer.  Shooting an STI with a comp.  Thanks.

the above quote hasn't been answered yet. anybody tried using .354 heads in their .38 super open pistol?

can you use the .354 dia. heads safely and reliably in a .38 super schuemann barrel (.355 dia)?

However, I have some Winchester 9mm 115 gr. jhp bullets that I would like to use.  These bullets measure .354.  Is it ok to use these.  If so, will the accuracy suffer.  Shooting an STI with a comp.  Thanks.

the above quote hasn't been answered yet. anybody tried using .354 heads in their .38 super open pistol?

can you use the .354 dia. heads safely and reliably in a .38 super schuemann barrel (.355 dia)?

You can, however accuracy may suffer, and you may have more blow-by and wear of the barrel. (Note: this is very dependent on the actual bore diameter, some guns/ barrels may shoot them better) For jacketed bullets the bullet diameter should be the same as the bore diameter, most (not all) recently built 38 Supers (last few years) have a .355 bore.

With calipers you have to be careful not to push on the thumbwheel very much or the jaws torque out at a slight angle & give you a false [undersize] reading.

I close in on the bullet [cartridge, case mouth, etc] using the thumbwheel and then use my other hand to press the jaws directly across from where they touch the object being measured. Finger, thumb, jaws, object - all in a straight line.

Most likely your bullets are .355" or .3555"