Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 or Springfield XD 9 Tactical

nickatnite

I shoot a Glock 34 in production which is not very often lately as I am mostly a limited shooter. I shoot it for it's simplicity,reliability, and accuracy. I think you will be quite happy with yours. I must say that the nicest production trigger I have ever handled/shot was on a springfield XD "Tactical" 9mm. I think the folks at Canyon Creek did it and it felt just like my SV! Unreal trigger pull. Still, I'll take the reliability and in my opinion better accuracy of my glock 34.

One more thought on this comparison is that if you plan on shooting IDPA, the XD must go into ESP, not the stock class, while the Glock can shoot stock. For some reason, IDPA considers it 'single action' since the striker is all the way cocked and the trigger releases it, unlike the Glock that partially pulls the striker back before releasing.

• 5 weeks later...

I've handled the Glock 34 and Springfield XD9 Tactical but not a Glock 17L. From your list I would go with the G34 hands down. But in your question you said you're planning to use it for NRA pistol and IPSC. The G34 is not approved for IPSC Production (5" barrel limit), it is approved for USPSA Production. If IPSC is the case, I would go with the G17. The XD9 Tac is approved for IPSC Production, USPSA Production but not IDPA SSP. The G17 is a great all around production/SSP pistol, I shoot one myself.

Well I think you should go with the taurus judge. Heck you will hit every thing with the 410. shells :goof: lolol

Get a glock 17 and 34 or just a 17 best production guns out there and the 17 you can convert into a open gun later if you want to they do well

in open. good luck :)

I had a 35, traded that for a XD 9 Tac and traded that for a Caspian Open Gun :cheers:

For Production, I'm going back to Glock. I tried really hard to like the XD but it just wasn't working for me. YMMV

Well, I've got a little over 36k through my G34, and it took me into Master class in IDPA so you could say I'm a fan. I'm not a fan of the XD. For one thing, that strange, protuberant slide stop is right where my support hand thumb wants to be. Also, I've just seen way too many malfunctions at matches with this design, and I'm aware of way too many parts breakage incidents for me to ever trust it. YMMV. But I doubt it. :lol:

Now from a JR. shooter side of the house, I started my son with a brand new model 17 and he did pretty good/ok for a new shooter. He then went to my 34 and did a little better but didn't really like them. A fellow shooter and friend of the family (Robert Wright) gave my son a Springfield XD Tactical in 9mm and he went from a ok/good shooter to a great shooter. The grip of the XD is smaller, so the whole package was just...great! He has no interest in any Glock now, he now loves to shoot the XD where the Glock he had to work at it.

I liked this comparison since a new shooter doesn't have any bad habits and no brand loyality to speak of.

Scott Hawkins

AKA Busyhawk