Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P9 PRO Accuracy Potential

TonyT

Dave, are you shooting a stock or storm lake barrel?

You must play around with you loads a little to get to 3" at 25yds. The average with factory plinking ammo is 4-6" at 25yds; from what Ive seen.

I also have found you need a firm grip for these guns to group well; I get better groups offhand than off a bench.

Its a combat pistol, thats still MOM; minute of man..

I have heard the Pro has tighter tolerances. Have a M&P 9 compact and comparing it to my new M&P 9L can see some difference in the chambers. It's hard to measure small differences but the L cartridges slide in with no play, same cartridge in the 9C there is some wiggle. Same with with my buddies 9 Pro it seems tighter. However trying to measure the difference with a dial caliper I can't see any variation. I do know the 9L is more sensitive to ammo than the compact. Is the L different from the Pro ? who knows probably more difference individual gun to gun than between models.

Boats

I have heard the Pro has tighter tolerances. Have a M&P 9 compact and comparing it to my new M&P 9L can see some difference in the chambers. It's hard to measure small differences but the L cartridges slide in with no play, same cartridge in the 9C there is some wiggle. Same with with my buddies 9 Pro it seems tighter. However trying to measure the difference with a dial caliper I can't see any variation. I do know the 9L is more sensitive to ammo than the compact. Is the L different from the Pro ? who knows probably more difference individual gun to gun than between models.

Boats

I believe thats mostly a function of the reaming out of the barrels during production; Ive seen some crazy-tight 9mm 4.25" barrels and some fairly loose 9mm chambers on the Pros and L's.

Id say tight chamber stoppages are overall getting more prevalent with recent manufacture, but I also think that much of those are due to shooting reloads, and these tight chambered guns function better with new or factory brass.

I have shot 10 groups of 5 rounds thru my 9L, which now has over 2500 rounds thru it.

The groups were fired off a sandbag at 15 yards. I measured the best 4 out of 5 shots,

center to center, to come up with a group size. The average of the 10 groups was 1.23",

with the best a .69" and the worst a 2.64" group. I am sure that someone with younger

eyes (super senior next year), could do better.

The load was a Montana Gold 121 IFP over Universal.

I have found that my M&P45 is more accurate than my full sized M&P9, and the 9L is a little

more accurate than the M&P45. All of them are more accurate than I am.

I would post some pdf's of a couple of the groups, if I could figure out how!!

Agree on the chambers, I am pretty sure the barrels are forged on a mandrel but chambers cut with a reamer. Reamers wear and one well used compared to a new one there is a difference in Dims.

I have two top quality rifle barrels from the same gunsmith. built about 3 years apart. Brass fired in one won't fit in the other without a full re-size. Gunsmith said he had changed reamers.

Boats

• 4 weeks later...

My 9pro shoots 1.100 inch 5 shot group at 25 yards from the bench using 124 montana gold jhp behind 5.6 gr of power pistol loaded to an OAL of 1.100 inches. PF is 137. This load shoots 1.2 inches in my 4 1/4 inch M&P, and .769 in my EAA limited gun. Shoots 1.100 out of my glock 17. All in all the M&P's are accurate out the box, I did do a trigger job myself per instruction on Dan Burwell's website. My .45 pull is 3#, my 9 is 3.5#, and my Pro is 4#. I prefer the 4# pull over the lighter ones.

My 9L barrel is out getting welded up and the muzzle crowned.......When I got the gun in battery I could push on the rear of the slide and feel the barrel move........ :surprise: NOT GOOD........

I have the trigger down to a little over 2lbs and when I get the barrel fitted I will post results......Best you can expect with good handloads and stock trigger is 2-3inches at 25yds......with factory type ammo Mike is spot on.....

The gun will shoot well with the right ammo and a decent trigger.....I really like my M&Ps......

DougC

Thanks for all your comments. I made the plunge and purchased the M&P9 Pro. A quick trip to the range provided me with consistent 2 inch or less 10 shot groups with a variety of handloads using 125 and 147 gr. FMJ's.