Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are hats with built in lights allowed?

No.343

I recently shot an indoor match where one of the bays was very dark. I could not see my front sight for the majority of the shots I fired. I have a FO sight and I'm not changing it. Question: Is there anything illegal about wearing a light source of some sort to help illuminate your sights in USPSA rules? I don't recall anything prohibiting the light.

I recently shot an indoor match where one of the bays was very dark. I could not see my front sight for the majority of the shots I fired. I have a FO sight and I'm not changing it. Question: Is there anything illegal about wearing a light source of some sort to help illuminate your sights in USPSA rules? I don't recall anything prohibiting the light.

You might want to ask the match director about what is allowed or not.

I shot a night match in Vegas once. The rule they had was that all light must be off prior to the start signal. At the nationals in Barry in the shoot house stage, you were allowed to use the supplied light. You could not use any other light source.

Seems like a big advantage to have the light hands free, so I'd guess the stage designer would address that in the WSD, or, if not there at first, might end up there as one of those forbidden action things.

Per the rule book, there is no rule that would specifically deny you the use of a light. However, use of a specific light can be written into the WSB. Likewise, the WSB can be written to disallow use of your personal light. If it's not prohibited, though, it would be OK to use your light.

Troy

I seem to remember this being addressed as a sighting aid. A few years ago there were suggestions of mounting lights on guns or usnig other lights during the Nationals low light stages. I'm pretty sure they said that the light counted as an electronic sight and would cause you to be in Open Division. But I might be remembering wrong as well.

As soon as you shoot with a hat that has a light on it...the Written Stage Brief will get changed from that point forward. They are looking to test low-light shooting...not your hat.

Cool idea though. Way to think "outside the box."

As soon as you shoot with a hat that has a light on it...the Written Stage Brief will get changed from that point forward. They are looking to test low-light shooting...not your hat.

Cool idea though. Way to think "outside the box."

I don't know about that--I'd like to see a WSB that says, "It's dark in there, solve the problem."

Troy

Would that be considered allied equipment that must remain in the same location throughout the match?

5.2.5.3 Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required

by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment

must not be moved or changed by a competitor during a match.

Would you have to wear it for every stage?

Would that be considered allied equipment that must remain in the same location throughout the match?

I do not think so. "Equipment" is that which is specifically referred to in the rule book such as your weapon, belt, mag holders, etc. So far we do not have a hat rule.

I do not think so. "Equipment" is that which is specifically referred to in the rule book such as your weapon, belt, mag holders, etc. So far we do not have a hat rule.

Thanks, when I read the rule my internal Webster's made me think that allied equipment would be anything that is not part of the stage that you need to shoot that stage. Then I looked at the Glossary and USPSA defines it as:

Allied equipment . . . . . . .Holsters, magazines, speed loading devices and/or

their respective pouches.

Very good thinking as long as the MD didn't declare it forbidden.

Thanks, when I read the rule my internal Webster's made me think that allied equipment would be anything that is not part of the stage that you need to shoot that stage. Then I looked at the Glossary and USPSA defines it as:

Allied equipment . . . . . . .Holsters, magazines, speed loading devices and/or

their respective pouches.

Very good thinking as long as the MD didn't declare it forbidden.

The hat, light, your kneepads, elbow pads, shoes, etc., are all personal equipment and are not covered by that rule. The only thing that could prohibit use of a personal light would be a restriction in the WSB.

Troy