Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help needed changing fiber optic rod

BillD

I've got a FO on my Kimber. I am not sure of the manufacturer but it has a closed front. I would like to change to a green rod. I bought the rod from Dawson precision.

How do you get the old rod out?

Do you glue the new rod in? What type of glue? Should I drill out the front of the sight?

The instructions from Dawson are for a sight that is open at front and rear.

I did a search but after 12 pages of no joy, I decided to try a new thread.

If it has a closed front then it's probably an EGW sight. What I like about mine is that if the fiber optic rod does break (and mine hasn't) then the it reverts to a plain black sight. The ones that are drilled all of the way through will have a hole in it.

I was told that you don't have to glue the rod in but mine kept backing out so I put a little clear silicone on the end that went into the closed hole. It has worked fine for the last 38K rounds or so. I figured if I really wanted to change it I would breakout what I could and then take an appropriate sized drill bit and a pair of vise-grips and dig out what was left.

Ed

break the rod, pull it out, soak what's left in acetone (fingernail polish remover.) dig out the rest. Put a dab of glue in the end stick in the new one. Then pull it all back out and put a red one in when you figure out your were better off with the red one to begin with. ROYGBIV and color receptors in the eye make red the easiest and fastest color to pick up. Unless you are shooting under odd shooting conditions or have out side of normal vision.

I drill out the front. It's the easiest thing to do and makes all future rod changes painless.

Do you drill it out from the front or the back?

I did it from the back with the sight removed from the side and held in a soft jawed vice. Small bit, go slow. The metal is soft and it only takes a few seconds. As far as it being an advantage to go to all black instead of a hole if the rod flies out during a stage, I've never had this happen when the rod was installed properly to begin with.

I drill out the front. It's the easiest thing to do and makes all future rod changes painless.

Do you drill it out from the front or the back?

I did it from the back with the sight removed from the side and held in a soft jawed vice. Small bit, go slow. The metal is soft and it only takes a few seconds. As far as it being an advantage to go to all black instead of a hole if the rod flies out during a stage, I've never had this happen when the rod was installed properly to begin with.

Not to be a pain but I'm new to FO. What do you mean by "installed properly'?

Thanks

If the fiber rod is melted slightly at BOTH ends, it's not likely to ever come out unless you physically break the rod by banging the sight on a prop, barricade, etc. Epoxy, glue, silicone etc, all can "let go" at the worst possible time.

editied to add photo of EGW fiber optic front sight that I've drilled out, on my gun.

post-11314-1223922374_thumb.jpg

Edited by HighVelocity

Joe4d I can't argue with the technical aspects of your answer but I will have to speak from my own experience and say "for my old eyes" the green dot stays sharp whereas the red/orange dot fuzzes out and is hard to focus on clearly. I prefer the HiViz to any other because there are 3 (I believe) different sizes to choose from.

Richard

If the sight is still in the gun, it's easier to drill it from the front. It's easy if you mark the spot with a Starrett punch and keep your drill straight.

I never understand why anybody markets a fiber-optic sight with a closed front.

If the sight is still in the gun, it's easier to drill it from the front. It's easy if you mark the spot with a Starrett punch and keep your drill straight.

I never understand why anybody markets a fiber-optic sight with a closed front.

Thanks, that sounds easier.