Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading with Hornady One Shot Dry Lube on pistol brass

lugnut

I've decided to use lube on my pistol brass... yeah sure I know carbide dies don't require lube but things sure go more smooth with the lube... the question is- I've used Hornady One Shot DRY LUBE (not CASE LUBE) and it seems to work just fine. I usually spray a tad on the outside of the cases and try to get just a little in the case mouth. Is this bad? I don't think is would contaminate loads but wasn't sure. Anyone do this? Should I stop and start using the CASE LUBE instead?

Thanks!

PS- no squibs yet but I haven't done a ton with the DRY LUBE.

I've decided to use lube on my pistol brass... yeah sure I know carbide dies don't require lube but things sure go more smooth with the lube... the question is- I've used Hornady One Shot DRY LUBE (not CASE LUBE) and it seems to work just fine. I usually spray a tad on the outside of the cases and try to get just a little in the case mouth. Is this bad? I don't think is would contaminate loads but wasn't sure. Anyone do this? Should I stop and start using the CASE LUBE instead?

Thanks!

I have used One Shot for some time now, especially on 9mm cases, with no problems. I believe that it was HSMITH that told me about spraying the inside of a gallon zip lock bag and then rolling the cases around inside of it. I usually spray some of the cases on top and then work them around in the bag. Best way I know of to lube those cases. Also, no problems so far with any of my ammo.

I am referring to One Shot DRY Lube though... not One Shot CASE LUBE. Which have you been using?

Thanks!

I have used One Shot for some time now, especially on 9mm cases, with no problems. I believe that it was HSMITH that told me about spraying the inside of a gallon zip lock bag and then rolling the cases around inside of it. I usually spray some of the cases on top and then work them around in the bag. Best way I know of to lube those cases. Also, no problems so far with any of my ammo.

Hornady's website has four sizing lubes: one liquid for case rolling pads, one solid for direct application, one water based pump and one aerosol. If you're not talking about any of these, then the last lube in the section is an aerosol gun cleaner, which they describe as "dry".

Dunno what's in it. Dunno what it does to powder or primers, and what kind of residue it might leave, if any, in the case, chamber and bbl.

You might try loading 20 rounds each with and without the lube, using the same recipe, and shooting the two sets over the chrono. That will tell you if there is any significant difference in ballistic performance. Inspecting the cases and seeing if they clean up OK will tell you if that's an issue. Probably only shooting a good # of rounds will show you if there's any residue in the gun.

Or you can email and ask them.

Anyway, next time you order stuff, I'd get the real sizing aerosol OneShot.

My .02,

Kevin C

Yeah- the one I have been using is the "dry" one. It says it's great for dies, etc. but I think I will call to see what they say. I've loaded a bunch and haven't had problems but I had one really light load that caused a round to tumble... that had me wondering. I've shot hundreds of rounds "lubed" this way.

Hornady's website has four sizing lubes: one liquid for case rolling pads, one solid for direct application, one water based pump and one aerosol. If you're not talking about any of these, then the last lube in the section is an aerosol gun cleaner, which they describe as "dry".

Dunno what's in it. Dunno what it does to powder or primers, and what kind of residue it might leave, if any, in the case, chamber and bbl.

You might try loading 20 rounds each with and without the lube, using the same recipe, and shooting the two sets over the chrono. That will tell you if there is any significant difference in ballistic performance. Inspecting the cases and seeing if they clean up OK will tell you if that's an issue. Probably only shooting a good # of rounds will show you if there's any residue in the gun.

Or you can email and ask them.

Anyway, next time you order stuff, I'd get the real sizing aerosol OneShot.

My .02,

Kevin C

Too many variables in hindsight to know what gave you the one bad round.

I don't know of any recommendation to deliberately get some lube on the case mouth - it's usually only brand new brass that sticks badly to the flaring die, and the fix for that is usually careful polishing of the die itself. Short version, no need to spray inside the case deliberately and less worry about powder/primer contamination.

If the brass you've shot this way cleans up fine, and the gun isn't unusually dirty or malf'ing after several hundred rounds, then it seems like there's no issues there. Then if you keep the stuff out of the case interior, you look more or less OK.

My bottom line recommendation is still to use the stuff designed for sizing - right now it's on sale at Midway for $5.99/can.

• 4 weeks later...

I lubed the inside of the brass with one shot, ( I should have read all the directions) when firing cas with my lever action ,flame could be seen as i jacked in another round. I quit using it altogether. Also had a squib so the powder had to be soaked. Now just use that ammo for my revolver.

I've been using Hornady One Shot case lube thru 20,000 rounds of 45 & 9mm brassand am still on the first, 5.5 oz can. I fill a 3 lb. coffee can 1/2 full, tilt to spread the brass out, spray a dab, rotate, spray another dab and then put the lid on a tumble. It doesn't take much and it does make a difference in how the press "feels" (Hornady LNL AP). I figure a bit gets inside the case mouth, as well, and maybe helps lube the expander plug a bit.

WyoBob

Edited by WyoBob

I've been using Hornady One Shot case lube thru 20,000 rounds of 45 & 9mm brassand am still on the first, 5.5 oz can. I fill a 3 lb. coffee can 1/2 full, tilt to spread the brass out, spray a dab, rotate, spray another dab and then put the lid on a tumble. It doesn't take much and it does make a difference in how the press "feels" (Hornady LNL AP). I figure a bit gets inside the case mouth, as well, and maybe helps lube the expander plug a bitl.

WyoBob

Yeah- I know do a similar thing with the CASE LUBE... it was the DRY LUBE that was in question. But since I use the case lube now I'm not too worried.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for you guys who lube your pistol brass........ AFTER you've finished reloading, do you then have to clean the rounds to remove any lube residue from the case exteriors?

Even though I'd like to have my press run smoother during reloading with lubed cases, I'd just as soon not have to go through another cleaning step before I shoot the ammo.

Thanks

THG

There really is no need to clean off the OneShot; Brian's video shows the application of it, and he rightly states that its OK to leave it on the cases, and it might even aid in feeding.

Before I got the video, I would also sometimes tumble loade rounds in the tumbler - which, contrary to popular reloading manual myth, is a safe practice (and I use Federal primers no less). But, that is not an option with hollow points and its not needed.

Question for you guys who lube your pistol brass........ AFTER you've finished reloading, do you then have to clean the rounds to remove any lube residue from the case exteriors?

Even though I'd like to have my press run smoother during reloading with lubed cases, I'd just as soon not have to go through another cleaning step before I shoot the ammo.

Thanks

THG