Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pics of Open guns

slavex

so I am looking at building an Open gun over the next 6 months to a year. mostly for shooting in Canada, so number of rounds is limited to 10 anyhow. at first I thought 9 Major, but then started thinking 9x40. Why not 38 Super or something similar? because I am cheap. I have an endless supply of .40 brass (and 9mm for that matter). so I can shoot and leave my brass behind at a match and not care. I do not want to be chasing brass. I hate doing that with my .50 already.

So lets see some pics of your guns!!! It's basically going to be an Eric Gold type gun, no idea on comp, Barry mount, C-more, but really I guess it'll all depend on what I can get and what I can do with it. I figured it's easier to order a gun in .40, get a 9mm barrel and ream it, than to order a 9mm and open up the breach face and barrel both.

whatcha guys think?

This one has Hennings first generation EGW hammer/sear in it and was tuned by Henning. Light trigger pull, probably right at 2lb. I would say it is not quite as crisp as a 'smithed 1911 trigger, but the only time I notice it is when I dryfire just to see what the trigger feels like. I've never noticed a difference when shooting a stage. I have the new, improved EGW kit from Henning and I'm just waiting to get my V12 back from EAA and I will see how that one works.

Hey Rob, what if you just grabbed another Stock II, a 9mm barrel and comp, a mag well and a scope and mount? The barrel/comp kit should pretty much just drop right in, and you could drill and tap the frame for the scope mount and just shoot 9mm out of small frame mags...which you already have....and it would work just fine.

One of the Alberta guys experimented with 9X40, but I don't know that it was completely successful.

Rob Elliot- that's sort of what I was thinking, but the length of the round to make major in 9mm might be more than the Stock II mags can handle. there are a bunch of guys shooting 9x40 out here in BC, so the knowledge base there is pretty good. My original idea had been to use a Stock as the platform, but with possibly needing longer mags, that idea has evolved.

Rob Elliot- that's sort of what I was thinking, but the length of the round to make major in 9mm might be more than the Stock II mags can handle. there are a bunch of guys shooting 9x40 out here in BC, so the knowledge base there is pretty good. My original idea had been to use a Stock as the platform, but with possibly needing longer mags, that idea has evolved.

Ah, I see. What's the max OAL you can get in those 9mm mags?

You should be able to set up with teh Stock II mags. If it helps a guy at my club runs a Sig open gun in 9mm with mags that are basically the same size as the small mags. Not sure what his OAL is but it is not so long that it gets stuck in the mag or has any feeding problems. He is running a 147gr pill and using Viht 3N38 which is made especially for 9mm Major.

The last time he tested his loads they were running at the velocity indicated in the Viht load manual with less than 10 ft/sec deviation between rounds. This is a sweet gun to shot with these loads!!!