Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge makup shots…

badchad

How many is too many and how many are too few?

I know ideally you wouldn’t miss any shots but is there a rule of thumb that says you’re going to fast or two slow? Is it different for limited vs. open shooters?

I know ideally you wouldn’t miss any shots but is there a rule of thumb that says you’re going to fast or two slow? Is it different for limited vs. open shooters?

You must shoot it clean and push your self until you start missing.

then crank it down to start having clean runs!! CLEAN RUNS ARE THE FASTEST!!

To answer your question, No make up shots!!

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Any are too many, and there can never be too few.

No rule of thumb. There is no such thing as time or points. Time and points. One represents the other. The goal is the same with both Limited and Open. Hit the target as quickly as possible.

This past year with an Auto I had <_< four extra shots on my total time, not including the drop runs.

in 2006 I had three extra shots on my total time for the match.

Next year I am willing to have five but my total time will be lower B)

I don't go into the match concerned about extra shots. I go to the match to shoot close to my potential.

<_< I don't like leaving thinking that I could have shot faster.

Last year I had a small handful of scored extras. Also only small handful of un-scored extras. Finished pretty well, but not spectacular on anything, so this year I pushed it on speed.

This year I had a lot of scored and unscored extra shots, and a poor overall time for me, but at the same time I set personal records on 3 stages. It's all about balance ;)

Kinda depends on your attitude. There are shooters who when they step up will either bomb the stage or place in the top 3, kinda makes it exiting to watch.

Do you settle for a safe run that may be .20 slower that what you think you can shoot? Bearing in mind it's much more difficult to shoot your "safe" run under the glare of the Piru sun.

Shoot this game enough and you will know how things are going without the ro calling out your time, now you gotta decide whether to stick to the game plan after 2 decent runs or after taking a couple of extra shots.

On match day the person who shoots the cleanest usually comes out on top, even among the SS. When i fail it's always because of misses and extra shots, rarely because i shot too clean and slow.

Practice , now that's a different dicussion.

A miss is what...down 3 seconds?

How many make-up shots can you get in within 3 sconds?

Yeah, a miss sucks @+3 (that would be on the order of 6 to 12 makeup shots)

I'll defer to Ong since he kicks butt at Steel, but one thing I noticed practicing was there are some stages I can 'push' on and get runs 0.25 or so faster on... and need to make up a shot about one in five runs. On those the math works out to push it, but pushing it too far is a recipe for disaster..

Interestingly most of the first page of results at the SC is separated one place to the next by about 0.3 seconds... or one makeup shot. :unsure:

Not too many near the top eat a miss. <_< some do. The problem with the miss not made up is on stages like Showdown and Roundabout. the miss is registered to the shooter at the same time as the hit on the stop plate.

My best run ever for me on Smoke and Hope , my Fourth hit landed on the edge of the big plate the bullet went on to knock up dirt near the stop plate at the same time I was completing the hit on the stop. :cheers: even though the dirt made a big cloud I knew I had the hit before I looked back for the mark on the edge of the plate.

:) I was still very glad to see the mark on the plate. ;)