Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Advice On Trade-in

BigDave

If I went into my local dealer with a clean, less than 1000 rounds shot (say 98% overall condition), Glock 23c and wanted to trade for a new 17 or 34, what kind of deal can I expect? I know more about 1911's, but I have no clue when it comes to the plastic fantastic (thats not a slam). Thanks.

It's hard to say the value of the trade in. I assume the dealer will not go for a strait up trade. He'll probably ask for money in addition. This is of course depended on the 17 or 34 he had for trade. You'll have to be the judge of what's fair, but I would go for $100 aditional max for a 17, and $150 for the 34.

If possible I would bring a cell phone and call in to Glock to check if the pistols your trading for is on the frame recall. Just to save some possible hassle down the road. Pretty much anything starting with "E" is on the recall. There are a number of exceptions.

Dave,

Having once worked in retail where trades were common (large mostly mail order camera store) I'd say that trade-in value will depepnd largely on two things: How much can the dealer sell your 23C for, AND how long will it take him to sell it. If he can get a good price quickly, you should expect a high trade, if however compensated Glocks don't sell well at that store, then you'll get little. If you're dealing with an honest, reputable guy then a lowball offer is not likely to be an attempt to rip you off, it may just represent that dealer's reality, i.e. he doesn't want to tie $300 or more up in a gun that's gonna be a paperweight for the best part of a year.

My advice would be: Figure out a dollar amount you're comfortable paying on top of the trade, if you can do the deal for that, Great! If you can't, then pay for the new gun and try to find a buyer privately or keep the 23C for fun, as an open gun :D:D:D , or just for the collection.

I find that it is usually a better deal to try a personal trade or sale at a gun show. You just might find someone who has a G17 and wants a G23. Either way you are cutting out the middle man and keeping his cut of the deal in your pocket.

Around here factory refurb Glocks (G17,19,22,23) usually go for around $400 at gun shows (standard sights, 1 10rnd mag). New G17's are going for about $475 and new G34's are about $550 (standard sights and 2 10rnd mags).

Dave . . . you G23C is probably worth between $350 to $375 to a dealer in this area, unless you have some standard capacity magazines which would obviously change things.

The best way to approach it is to decide beforehand what you need to get out of it. Then go from there!