Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTE last round only, help please

practical_man

Problem: Last round of every magazine fails to eject. Empty brass is usually 90degrees to bore axis, case head facing away from the ejection port.

This only happens when there is no round remaining in the magazine. If there is a round in the magazine, the pistol consistently ejects over my right shoulder. I've tested this with 1, 5, 10, and 16 rounds in the magazine. Same result, last round fails to fully eject.

Details.

- Happens with Winchester White Box and UMC factory ammunition as well as reloads (125grain over 4.2 grains of 231 and WSP primer)

- Pistol is a 1st GEN Glock 17. Box says it's a factory rebuild. Pistol is bone stock, except for a Lone Wolf 3.5 pound connector.

- Failure to eject occurs with the two 17 round magazines that came with the pistol, as well as 3 factory Glock magazines I bought from Brownell's last month.

- Happens whether pistol is dirty or just cleaned.

- I have completely disassembled the slide for cleaning. That didn't help. I put one small drop of oil inside the extractor channel. A little slide-glide on the rails.

- The ejector looks fine. No chips, no cracks. Angled to the right so it hits the round a little left of center.

ETA: This doesn't happen with my G19 or G21. I don't think it's operator limp-wristing at the end of the string of fire.

This is driving me a little nuts. Any ideas?

-john

Edited by practical_man

Sounds like an extractor problem. It's ok when there is another round pushing it up which pops it out of the port. When that round isn't there, your empty just falls off of the extractor before it can hit the ejector. Look very closely at the extractor. The bottom edge may have a chip out of it. That can happen with lots of use, or when someone drops the slide on a loaded chamber. Replacing the extractor is easy, and will more than likely fix your problem.

Does your gun have the new style LCI extractor, or the older "flat" extractor type?

Old-style flat extractor.

I'll get a new extractor and ejector. They're cheap enough

Thanks,

John

Be sure that you get the correct 'spring loaded bearing' for the extractor you'll be using. There's two different ones used between non-LCI and LCI. Also be sure to clean out the slide in the extractor area.