Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

broken rebound slide stud

pevadijk

My shooting buddy has a S&W 686-5 with a broken rebound slide stud :-(

This thursday we're going to the gunsmith, but is this easy to repair or is he in the market for a new blaster?

Edited by pevadijk

If we're talking about the stud attached to the frame directly behind the rebound slide being broken off, that's a repair that is beyond the capability of most local gunsmiths. Here, the answer is to send the gun back to the factory--not sure how viable an option that would be from the Netherlands.

If we're talking about the stud attached to the frame directly behind the rebound slide being broken off, that's a repair that is beyond the capability of most local gunsmiths. Here, the answer is to send the gun back to the factory--not sure how viable an option that would be from the Netherlands

Yes it is......and sending it back to the factory is indeed not very viable.

If we're talking about the stud attached to the frame directly behind the rebound slide being broken off, that's a repair that is beyond the capability of most local gunsmiths. Here, the answer is to send the gun back to the factory--not sure how viable an option that would be from the Netherlands

Yes it is......and sending it back to the factory is indeed not very viable.

pevadijk. The best option is sending it back to S&W. That not being a viable option, It can be fixed. And how hard it is to be repaired is relative. What would be difficlut for me would be easy for someone else. Back in the day when I did not know I could send my old worn out 586 back for repair a friend of mine , who is an exceptional machinist, fixed my hammer stud. It would take drilling out the broken stud and replacing it. Smith & Wesson has jigs set up for that and a machinist will have to make it work possibly without the jigs. good Luck rdd

I've had this repair, as well as a borken hammer pivot stud replaced by the factory. the new stud is press fit into the frame from the inside, peended in place (looks ugly from the inside - definitely not factory original), and the outside of the gun repolished to the end of the stud blends in with the frame. Definitely not a job for most do it your selfers :).

My shooting buddy has a S&W 686-5 with a broken rebound slide stud :-(

This thursday we're going to the gunsmith, but is this easy to repair or is he in the market for a new blaster?

From the work I have seen pictures of, you folks have some very talented gunsmiths over there and I would guess he will drill it, tig in a new one, and buff it so you will never know it was repaired.

I replaced a hammer stud on an old M25 years ago. I suggest that if the stud is to be soldered in place do not use drill rod as it hardens up and breaks off quickly. A good machinist should be able to find the stud center and drill a new hole. Get the right size steel pin cut to length, tin the end to be soldered to the frame (also tin the hole) press fit and bring to soldering temperature. Please note that you should be able to get the pin from Smith but I made mine from cold rolled steel.