Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working On Sti

old john

I am interested in knowing how to disassemble my 2011 STI to the frame and reassemble it. Can you share your favorite video or book on this topic? Thanks, Old John

The Wilson booklet ($10) for 1911 maintenence has the best set of pictures for detail stripping a 1911 or 2011. The Kuhnhausen manual is excellent, has lots of specs. For basic assembly and disassembly, the Wilson book is the best. You can get it at the Wilson Combat website.

Are you wanting to separate the frame from the grip?

There maybe a bit of a trick to it. What I have just recently noticed is that the upper screws/bolts are the only ones that matter. The lower ones are for decoration. Once you remove the upper screws if the grip and the screws in the front of the trigger guard, there are two ways of removing the grip from the receiver. a)You can pry each side of the grip away from the frame and slide it off or 2) YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO PUNCH THE SCREW PLUGS OUT FROM THE FRAME AND THE GRIP SLIDES OFF VERY EASILY.

This was a trial and error learning experience for me. I had no directions and did not think to look at the STI web site. You might try the second method first.

Definately go with the punch-the-bushings-out disassembly method. Be careful not to ding 'em. It's also handy to have a small C-clamp or similar device to press the grip screw bushings back in when you get around to reassembling.

Is it STI's safety or someone else's? Ambi or not?

I have a Wilson Ambi in mine. To be honest with you, I worked with it many times before I ever installed it; to a get a feel for how it slides together. It is pretty easy for me to get it off. But I think it was more of training me than loosening of the parts.

I will also suggest calling Chris at STI. HE is a great guy. I have dealt with him before and he was very helpful. I had the pleasure of being squaded with him at a match recently. He was very helpful and gracious. When in doubt call Chris.

Zorba,

I usually play with the safety up and down (pulling to separate them) until I see them starting to come apart (actually the left part of the safety starts separating from the frame for about .5 mm): this means I have found the disassembling position. Now you should be able to safely and carefully slide the flat tip of a small screwdriver underneath the shield of left safety and pry it open.

You have to work carefully and gently, not to marr the frame.