Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Die Funnel Dragging On Casing

• 2 months later...

Well polishing the funnel didn't really help me. It was better on well-used brass but horrible on once-fired. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I switched from .40 to .38 Super in the same afternoon. The Super cases just fell off the 9mm funnel.

I called up Dillon and pleaded, whined, and bitched, but I got no offer of a "new and improved" funnel. So I ordered a 1050 funnel as per Larry Cazes' recommendation. The Dillon tech said it might cause some more resistance seating bullets because it doesn't expand the inside of the case; it just flares the case mouth. $13.95 plus shipping.

Dillon sent me a rifle funnel by mistake. :( I just received the correct funnel today. It's just a simple cone. I adjusted my powder drop die for a minimum of flare and loaded 100 rounds. Suh-weet! Now I have to re-learn my 40 loading technique, as I was expecting that nasty hitch on the downstroke.

EGW sizing die and 1050 powder funnel: good times.

I called up Dillon and pleaded, whined, and bitched, but I got no offer of a "new and improved" funnel. So I ordered a 1050 funnel as per Larry Cazes' recommendation. The Dillon tech said it might cause some more resistance seating bullets because it doesn't expand the inside of the case; it just flares the case mouth. $13.95 plus shipping.

Wow. I have an opinion about that. But, I'll keep it to myself.

<_<

I have been having the stuck funnel problem with NEW Brass only. 45 acp in a dillion 550, I polished the funnel and use a light case lube on the funnel every 10 rounds or so....With once fired brass No problems

I have a different approach as to what the problem is. The Brass that sticks is Winchester new. (read soft), once it has been fired and is tempered some what it is fine.

I think the real answer dosent lie with dillion and there finishing procesess, it more likely is the Brass. Every headstamp will run differently over funnel....only the new brass that is soft is a problem...just my .02 :P

Guest Larry Cazes
Wow. I have an opinion about that. But, I'll keep it to myself.

Why?.....I'd like to hear your thoughts on this setup. I had some serious misgivings myself when I first got the funnel and it has turned out to be all good for me. I get really good neck tension this way using WC plated bullets which it seems is causing other good things to happen. Dillon powder measure meters well now since there is Zero sticking and the press runs smoothly!, velocity spread is down, bullet setback is unmeasurable, and acurracy has not worsened (may have improved but time will tell as I continue to use the setup). I also used to have about 1% of my loaded rounds exhibit slight shaving of the bullet plating. The last 3000 rounds with this setup have shown NONE. Finally, I have stopped checking rounds in my SV's chamber since there isn't as much case bulging now.

Firewalker, I use mixed headstamp once fired LE brass and all exhibit severe powder funnel sticking in my 550B with the original setup. I don't generally pick up my brass now since it is so cheap so I don't know if 2-3 firings to work harden the brass would make a difference. It is really nice to just let it lie for a change! :P

• 6 years later...

I have had the same problem on a 9mm funnel I did not have the problem when I first got the XL650. It stated after 3 months nd maybe 6000 rounds of normal used brass that was my own once fired and I am just getting done with the first 6000 rounds that I had bought new American Eagle 125 grain 9mm I think I bought 6 or 7 cases and saved all of the brass knowing I was going to start loading my own. I used Cape Cod polishing cloths to polish the fine lines that I could see in the funnel with a 4X loupe. I used the Cape Cod polishing cloths until it was a mirror finish. You can buy the Cape Cod polishing cloths on EBay. They are inexpensive and work great on any polishing work you need to do. I had them for keeping my fine Swiss watches clean of scratches in the 316 Stainless Steel. That is what they are made for taking the scratches out of stainless on high gloss finishes. It took a little bit of time and elbow grease to work out the groves that were in the funnel.So I do not think the problem with the funnel is the angle of the bell or flare, it was wear grooves in the flaring funnel that caused the case to hang up on. I think over time this is going to happen again and will need to be polished. I also have a fine jewelry polishing wheel on my dremel tool with rouge and this will clean up the cut in the flaring tool. I think that maybe the steel you are using is softer than the older funnels that did not have the problems. Time will tell. I use normal brass that was fired once and so on. So I am using the same 5000 pieces of brass that I have had as long as I have had the XL 650. I would look into the steel you are using. Is it 316 stainless steel? I did not check it with a magnet to see if less than S.S. at least 316 grade. If I see grooves that are cut into this piece in another three months is this piece covered under the no BS warranty?

• 2 years later...

Interesting read.

I have the same issues, I have just lived with it. If there is a fix for it though, I would be more than up for it. Has anybody who has fixed the issue, done so while using a Lee/EGW U-Die? I always just thought that the reason that I was getting the clunk was because I was undersizing the brass in that die. I also wet/SS media tumble my cases, so they are all as clean as new brass every time I run them.

Dillon told me the method I was using (Stainless Steel Media Cleaning) was the issue for the brass sticking on the powder funnel. I tried to polish it and it worked for about 200 rounds, then the same ole issue was happening. Then I came across a thread (IM not sure if it was on here or another board,) but they said to use 800-1000 grit sand paper. What you would do is take a pencil, shove it in the powder funnel and then chuck the other end of the pencil into a drill press. Using light pressure apply the sand paper to the powder funnel as its turning. this will take off about .0001 of an inch or so.