Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to loading bottleneck rifle, problems spilling powder onto shellpl

jaredr

Summary: Have about 100K rounds loaded on my xl650 (all straight wall pistol cartridges) and have just picked up an 1050 from Brian to start loading rifle .223. All is well <except> I'm having some problems with powder (accurate 2230) spilling at the powder drop station. Have adjusted and re-checked powder measure but no matter what, am frequently dropping a few grains onto the shellplate. Have tried breaking down details re: loading setup and powder drop issues below:

Cartridge load: mixed headstamp range pickup brass, 23.5 gr accurate 2230 powder, winchester small rifle primers, hornady 55gr fmj projectiles

Press setup: running two toolheads – one to perform all brass prep, and a second one to actually load cartridges. Toolhead config is as follows:

Toolhead #1:

Station 1: cartridge feed

Station 2: Lee depriming die (just deprimes, does not resize)

Station 3: swaging station, dillon swage die installed

Station 4: <no primers loaded for brass prep>

Station 5: <no powder measure installed for brass prep>

Station 6: dillon 1200 trimmer – resizes and trims

Station 7: empty

Station 8: dillon resizing die installed to use neck expander ball (adjusted not to resize)

Toolhead #2:

Station 1: cartridge feed

Station 2: Lee depriming die (I tumble prepped cartridges to remove lube, use depriming die to nock out any media in flash hole)

Station 3: <no swaging die installed for cartridge loading>

Station 4: prime

Station 5: powder drop

Station 6: empty

Station 7: seat with dillon seating die

Station 8: crimp with dillon taper crimp die

Problem detail: I'm new to reloading bottleneck rifle, so while I have set up to reload in volume, for now I'm starting by prepping 50 or so cases on the brass prep toolhead, then moving over to the cartridge load toolhead. Once I've got everything really dialed in, then I'll move on to prepping out brass in volume and then reloading same. So far, things are working fine (code for: still with the 2 eyes, 10 toes/fingers, etc.), have chrono'd out the first batch of a few dozen and am pleased with results. Only problem is not matter what I try and do with the powder measure adjustment, I seem to be frequently (but not always) dropping a grain or two worth of powder on the shellplate.

Have adjusted the powder measure down to where it is <almost> but not actually buckling the case (making sure that the powder measure is fully actuated. Also making sure that I'm pausing a second or two with each pull of the handle to let the powder drop (assuming it takes a bit longer to drop 23 and a half grains then the 5-8 gr I'm used to with pistol catridges). No matter what, on about every 2nd or 3rd cartrideg I can still see a small amount of powder still being dispensed when I raise the handle (i.e. lower the shellplate). 2230 looks like tiny ball bearings – can't imagine I'm having any sort of bridging problems with the powder measure, and in all the posts and articles I read about 2230 I never heard any mention of metering problems so don't believe it's a question of the powder selection.

Before I start breaking out the polishing compound for the inside of the powder die or start developing some sort of weird OCD complex with anti-static dryer sheets, I figured I would post to the board and see if anyone had any advise? Grateful for any thoughts or suggestions anyone might have. I've tried the search function but couldn't locate any similar threads, but if this one has already been asked and answered that would certainly appreciate if someone could point me towards the right link.

Btw – obligatory thanks to Brian for all his help on the order! I was set to order carbide dies and after speaking with me about what I wanted to do, Brian pointed out that the trim die will do the sizing work, so there's no need to spend another $100 on the carbide dies – Thanks Brian!

Not being familiar with that particular powder, I would have guessed bridging. However it sounds like it’s a ball type of powder and you shouldn’t have that problem.

I seem to be frequently (but not always) dropping a grain or two worth of powder on the shellplate.

To clarify do, you mean 1 or two specks of powder or 1.0-2.0 grains of powder? If it’s the latter you might try switching powders. With Winchester 748, Ramshot TAC and X-terminator I find it hard to believe you could complete a full stroke fast enough to move the case before the powder drops. Check this out http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jm...urrent=1050.flv

Like jmorris said, I'm assuming this is 1.0 to 2.0 grains of powder.

It's not a 2230 problem.

I've seen this a few times...

The most common being a nick, etc.. in the case mouth that activates the powder measure prematurely.

I've seen the expander (on the swage station do it) - but that's not your problem here.

You might visually inspect a number of cases.. see the case mouths are all nice and concentric, not flaws, etc.. see if those have the problem.

It sure sounds like something isn't lining up right on the powder drop.

many thanks for everyone's replies!

jmorris - really appreciate the video clip. if that's the speed at which you can cycle rifle cartridges through the press dropping ball powder, then I'm certainly coming nowhere close to rushing the machine. regarding how much powder I'm seeing drop onto the shellplate - should have clarified what I meant: somewhere betweeb 3 & 10 individual specs (or "balls") of powder, tho occasionally a bit more. Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up to a mess on the shellplateand (more importantly) i'm pretty sure it shouldn't be happening, so I want to find out what's going on and fix it

BerKim - if i understand you correctly, you're describing a condition where a burr or raised defect in the case mouth will cause the powder measure to begin dispensing powder before the cartridge mouth has "sealed" against the powder activator? I'll run another round of test cartridges and pay particular attention to case mouth condition. not sure if that's a factor so far as most of the cartridges I ran through last time had just been trimmed by the 1200B during the brass prep stage and all were square and in generally nick-free shape. think I'll break down the powder measure and inspect the powder activator carefully, then run another round of loading tests (using cartridges with inspected case mouths) and see what kind of results I get.

will try and again and see what kind of results I get!

should have clarified what I meant: somewhere betweeb 3 & 10 individual specs (or "balls") of powder,

That’s a little different, that could just be static holding the powder to the side of the tube until it’s shaken during operation. Get some caned air for cleaning keyboards and don’t sweat the petty stuff.

problem solved... did what I probably should have done before posting, broke down powder measure and checked out the powder activator. turns out it had a coating of oil that was collecting powder and then dropping it as some was shaken loose when the shellplate stopped at the end of its travel. doused it liberally with acetone, cleaned and dried it, reassembled, and what do you know - no powder spills!

I'd left the powder die, seating, and crimp dies pre-installed as Dillon shipped them. don't know how many new presses I'll be getting in the future with dies already set up, but will remember to at least check out the powder activator and make sure it's clean before starting out.

thanks again for everyone's advice!

best regards,

jared