Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Laser Rangefinder

I have been using a Bushnell scout 1000 with out ARC for a little over a year now. It still has the original battery and it gives consistant acurate readings. I only use it for 3-gun ranging and with rare exception it has given good results. The longest target it has ranged was at rocky mountain 3-gun and that was I think something like 588 yds. It ranged within a yard or so of what the RO's claimed. I have also ranged mailboxes and telephone poles on my street that go up to 300 yds and it ranges them without issue.

The rare exception i refer to above was also at Rocky mountain. There was a target that was very low in some tall grass and it was backed up with a hill on the left with some overhanging branches in front of it. I believe all the interfering vegetation was deflecting the signal as i got a differant reading every time i ranged it. Others were having the same issue so i do not blame the rangefinder.

• 4 years later...

Bringing this post back to life. I am in the market for a laser range finder. Most of the posts I have found are a couple of years old. I want to purchase a unit that calculates elevation and something that reaches out to about 500 yds. Any info or reviews would helpful. thanks.

Anyone use the Vortex Ranger 1000?

Edited by swedge58

Bringing this post back to life. I am in the market for a laser range finder. Most of the posts I have found are a couple of years old. I want to purchase a unit that calculates elevation and something that reaches out to about 500 yds. Any info or reviews would helpful. thanks.

Anyone use the Vortex Ranger 1000?

I picked up the Vortex Ranger 1000 last Spring from Omar @ Southern Guns. I use it to range targets for 3 gun and have no complaints. As most reviewers mention, readings not as "instant" as the Leupold or Leica but only slightly slower.

I recently picked up a new Weaver 8x28 1000 yard RF for a song. Guy won it at a banquet and didn't want it, so I bought it for $100. I haven't used it a bunch yet, but so far I'd say it's way better than the Nikon Monarch 800. With the Nikon, 400 yards is the max on non-reflective targets such as animals, bushes, etc. The Weaver seems pretty reliable to 600. Unless something drastically happens to convince me otherwise, the Weaver will be the one going in my 3-gun bag this season.