Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625-3

Rolex

:wacko: Can anyone inform this NEW to wheel guns

just why a S&W 625-3 not be cut for moon clips. I was

under the ass-umption that all 625's used moon clips?

Left side of bl. Smith and Wesson Right side .45 Model

of 1989 with a 5" bl. :unsure:

I'd have to see the gun, but the cylinder doesn't "look" cut for moon clips, and all of the 625's I have owned will fire 45 ACP *without* moon clips; although extraction is a pain in the neck.

Unlike revolvers designed for rimmed cartridges, the proper spacing is built into the clearances at the back of the cylinder.

That doesn't preclude that somebody has altered the gun, but are you saying a moon clip of 45 ACP's won't fit in the gun?

I'd have to see the gun, but the cylinder doesn't "look" cut for moon clips, and all of the 625's I have owned will fire 45 ACP *without* moon clips; although extraction is a pain in the neck.

Unlike revolvers designed for rimmed cartridges, the proper spacing is built into the clearances at the back of the cylinder.

That doesn't preclude that somebody has altered the gun, but are you saying a moon clip of 45 ACP's won't fit in the gun?

Right Walter- you cant load moonclip onto the cylinder at all! There is NO CUT

for it- Is it possible that the cylinder has been replaced?

None of my 625s have ever been "cut" for moonclips they are just .020 spaced away from the breach face. However, my 627s are cut so that you can shoot with or without full moon / half moon clips.

The earlier (and better made) S&W revolvers also had recessed cylinders and pinned barrels when quality was more important than just price. These features went away along with very good "smithing" from the factory when they decided to market S&W on price instead of quality. we are now use to buying a revo and send it to the gunsmith for $500 worth of work before we even shoot them......something is wrong with this picture :-)

Bill Sahlberg

Right Walter- you cant load moonclip onto the cylinder at all! There is NO CUT

for it- Is it possible that the cylinder has been replaced?

OK. The cylinder should not be cut on a 625 so that part is correct.

If you cannot sit a loaded moon clip onto the face of the cylinder and close the cylinder the gun may have been altered for one of the other .45 cal cartidges as suggested earlier. Seems like that was once an option on the 625 Mountain Gun, so it may simply be a 45 Long Colt cylinder dropped into the frame. It should be relatively easy to fix with a new cylinder and extractor assembly, but it will cost some money to get it converted.

Have you tried loading it with 45 Long Colt?

ETA:

A LINK to some pictures of my 625-8's

Edited by Waltermitty

FWIW.... my 625-3 won't fire without moon clips.

Unless the chambers have been altered, that would cause me to check for cylinder fitting and end shake, among other things.

If you look into the chambers you should see a ledge where the 45 ACP is *supposed* to headspace off the case mouth. If you can't light an "in-spec" cartridge without a moon clip it could be an early indication that you are heading toward an unreliable condition.

Of course, I've heard of people reaming their cylinders which would be an intentional setup decision.

FWIW.... my 625-3 won't fire without moon clips.

Unless the chambers have been altered, that would cause me to check for cylinder fitting and end shake, among other things.

If you look into the chambers you should see a ledge where the 45 ACP is *supposed* to headspace off the case mouth. If you can't light an "in-spec" cartridge without a moon clip it could be an early indication that you are heading toward an unreliable condition.

Of course, I've heard of people reaming their cylinders which would be an intentional setup decision.

As far as headspacing off the case mouth, "supposed to" is right. Most of the chambers I've checked are reamed (from the factory) about .015" too deep. The exception has been the Ti cylinders.

Headspacing is off the moon clips.

• 3 months later...