Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR SR7625, 165gr and 180gr bullets. Anyone use it?

needknees

I picked up a 5lb can of SR7625 awhile back to use for loading shotgun and well, I haven't been loading (or shooting) shotgun much at all lately. Since this powder is just sitting around I figured I'd play around with it for pistol stuff. Hodgdon has it listed just under Viht N320 for burn rate so I figured it'd be somewhat similar... and significantly less expensive ;).

I'm looking for a major .40 load using both 165gr Montana Gold FMJ or 180gr LTC bullets. This will be fired out of a G24 with a KKM barrel. It looks like I'd be pretty close to the minimum listed loads for PF with either bullet. It also looks like it could be used in 9mm and .45 as well.

Does anyone have experience with this powder in 9, .40, or .45? Is it even worth messing with?

I like 7625. The IMR loading manual lists a load for 180 gr at 5.7 grs for 990 fps (1.125 OAL) so there is plenty of potential below that. I have used it for 9mm (124 fmj over 4.6gr OAL 1.135) and 40 (200 gr over 5.2 OAL 1.185), also use it in my Open gun 7.5 gr, 125 gr, OAL 1.250 9 supercomp. No experience with 45, but the manual covers 185 gr -

230 gr.

YMMV

• 3 years later...