Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor vs Major at the Nats in Revo

Bubber

Your natural index brings the sight picture back to you after the muzzle flip.

....and a good strong grip on the gun sure helps!!

Have to agree with Carmoney here too. I shoot major and have no problem with the recoil of my 610. Part of the control besides the good strong grip is having a grip that fits you well so you can keep hold of the gun and still be comfortable shooting it. Just my 2 cents.

Jon

Ok, here's another twist..

I choose to shoot minor since I can get the bear creek 140 RN's locally for a lot less money than the precision 180 RN's that need be shipped to me. I think it's somewhere in the range of about $30/k cheaper. I've shot the 140 bear creeks at major and I can tell you they are snappy as heck.. To put it simply, the best bullet for the money for me is stoked with 140 bear creeks pushing just about 1000 fps. I can load these for $100/k.

If cost were not an issue, I'd likely shoot the precision 180's but at this point, and as much as I've shot in the past, I couldn't get in as much practice shooting the more expensive bullets.

Ok, here's another twist..

I choose to shoot minor since I can get the bear creek 140 RN's locally for a lot less money than the precision 180 RN's that need be shipped to me. I think it's somewhere in the range of about $30/k cheaper. I've shot the 140 bear creeks at major and I can tell you they are snappy as heck.. To put it simply, the best bullet for the money for me is stoked with 140 bear creeks pushing just about 1000 fps. I can load these for $100/k.

If cost were not an issue, I'd likely shoot the precision 180's but at this point, and as much as I've shot in the past, I couldn't get in as much practice shooting the more expensive bullets.

Vince, did you shoot minor at the Canadian Nats???

Vince, did you shoot minor at the Canadian Nats???

On every stage except the long distance fixed time course. On that one stage, I had a jacketed bullet load that would keep inside 4" at 50 yards but since it was truncated cone reloaded very slowly. I did get a 7th shot off though and managed pretty well on the stage. I think 5A 2C. There were lots of bottom feeders that did much worse firing all 12 rounds.

I shoot minor 40 all the time. I was nervous though when the guys at the border thought about taking my ammo from me to keep me from exporting "war material". They let me cross with my ammo after making me sweat.

Edited by sargenv

I definitely shoot my 686 with .38's at minor power factor faster than my 625 with major loads. I think that I can get a higher grip on the L frame than the N. (besides the obvious difference in recoil)

Is there an appreciable difference in felt recoil between a minor loaded 686 (L-frame) and a minor loaded 625 (N-frame)? I know recoil is subjective, but it can't hurt to ask, having never fired a 686 before...