Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manual Primer Feeding

Based on experience with a Lee progressive press, I am looking at ways to remove as much automation from the 550 as possible while I get to know it better and test and adjust everything. Basically, I want to examine and understand how everything works.

One thing that comes to mind is that I want to disable the automatic functioning of primer mechanism so that it only feeds a primer when I want it to. Is there any reason why I should not remove the spring and the "actuator rod" (or whatever it's named) and just retract the primer feed during this testing, just pushing it forward manually when I actually want to feed a primer?

Based on experience with a Lee progressive press, I am looking at ways to remove as much automation from the 550 as possible while I get to know it better and test and adjust everything. Basically, I want to examine and understand how everything works.

One thing that comes to mind is that I want to disable the automatic functioning of primer mechanism so that it only feeds a primer when I want it to. Is there any reason why I should not remove the spring and the "actuator rod" (or whatever it's named) and just retract the primer feed during this testing, just pushing it forward manually when I actually want to feed a primer?

I don't know why you would want to do that, but it should work... you could disconnect the rod too if you wanted too.

:surprise::wacko:

I don't think that's a good idea to dis-able anything. I believe the only advise for you is "go slow and don't try to force anything!" The 550 has a good record and has been around for a long time. If you want to find out how things work, cycle the press without primers and powder. This should give you a pretty good idea. If you have questions after that call Dillon and ask. That is what they are there for.

JMHO (and I have a lot of them)

Richard

You probably have to have used a Lee progressive press to appreciate that it's really hard to tune things in when a whole bunch of stuff all happens at the same time and you can't backup and it's hard to remove and/or place a shell at specific points in the cycle.

I've been down that road and I want to really crawl when starting with a 550 so I can get a really good feel for how everything works. I've got a supply of ammo built up and don't need to do any serious reloading for a few weeks. When I do, I don't want any surprises or things I overlooked.

BTW, does anyone know if anal retentive has a hyphen or not?

You probably have to have used a Lee progressive press to appreciate that it's really hard to tune things in when a whole bunch of stuff all happens at the same time and you can't backup and it's hard to remove and/or place a shell at specific points in the cycle.

I've been down that road and I want to really crawl when starting with a 550 so I can get a really good feel for how everything works. I've got a supply of ammo built up and don't need to do any serious reloading for a few weeks. When I do, I don't want any surprises or things I overlooked.

BTW, does anyone know if anal retentive has a hyphen or not?

If that is your intent that just put one case in the press at a time... you can see what is going on and it's not like rubbing your belly and patting your head. Put one in and move it through each station until it's finished and then repeat until you get where you want to be.

Edited by JThompson

The primer slide can be de-activated. At times, mine will quit working on it's own, at least as far as picking up a primer, or delivering it right side up. As stated above, the primer system is the weakest link in the 550. I have often used other less polite mechanical words for it. But other than that, the 550 is an excellent piece of equipment.