Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Okay then I guess I am not 'intuitive'

AikiDale

Help please?

I opened finder and deleted a number of files from a directory.

I put a number of new files in the empty directory.

From the dock I brought up a file transfer program which thinks the files I deleted are in its custody and deserving of its full attention.

If I were to do such a thing on a PC I would be able to right click on the task bar or hit control,alt,delete and bring up the task manager, kill the offending process and go about my business. Not being intuitive in the Apple Mac sense I have no idea what to make of the gay rainbow pinwheel other than to notice it is the only thing moving on my computer. (I am writing from the PC....)

Before I cycle the power, is there a more elegant solution?

Why, oh why did I drink the apple flavored kool-aid....

File Transfer? Maybe ftp is your target. It gets the list of files and then starts to move them around. If you removed a file before it got to it you are telling the poor computer two conflicting things.

Open a terminal, either on the screen or via ssh, and see if you can run "top". It should tell you the things most consuming the computer resources.

Leam

BTW you could buy a lot of ammo for what you have to spend on PC anit-virus protection, clean up programs, adware removers, spyware blockers, etc...etc...etc...

Help please?

From the dock I brought up a file transfer program which thinks the files I deleted are in its custody and deserving of its full attention.

If I were to do such a thing on a PC I would be able to right click on the task bar or hit control,alt,delete and bring up the task manager, kill the offending process and go about my business. Not being intuitive in the Apple Mac sense I have no idea what to make of the gay rainbow pinwheel other than to notice it is the only thing moving on my computer. (I am writing from the PC....)

What you're looking for is Force Quit - click the apple icon on the top left corner of your desktop. You might have to click on the desktop first.

Help please?

What you're looking for is Force Quit - click the apple icon on the top left corner of your desktop. You might have to click on the desktop first.

Thank You BigDave! That is exactly what I needed. Experience beats intuition one more time. That was about as intuitive as clicking the Start button to shut down.... :D