Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x19 Major for Open

Jon Merricks

I am trying to help a friend find some information.  He is wanting to run a STI barrel/comp I think trubor, no holes at first.  He is wanting to run the overall length around 1.240" with 124's or 135's.   Does anyone out there have any info.  Really want to know what type of powder/burn rate that has been proven.  Don't have to list grains if you don't want to.   Thanks  

Another place to start would be Jeff Maass' website for 9x21 data (a google search should reveal its location ). Take a look at the endnot data; much of it lists loads for OAL longer than SAAMI max OAL and longer than will function in many purpose built 9x19 magazines.  Within reason, anything the 9x21 can stand, the 9x19 should be able to take.

Try to work with the 9x21 load data to start.  VhitaVouri has load data for 9x21 on their web page that makes major, and they use a much shorter OAL for the 9x21 info.  Loading the 9x19 out to 1.240 does not leave much grip on the bullet.  With STI frame geometry you have more problems with the bullet getting knocked crooked while feeding if you load it too long.  With a 1.250" OAL you get only 14 thousands contact at the case and bullet.  Hence the reason the old ruling needed to be changed!!

I'd use the V-V web page loads for 9x21 and a longer 1.200" max for some additional starting safety, and go from there.  I have heard good things about VV-N340 in Major 9.

Adam is correct ( I know how much he like's to hear that) the STI has a problem shooting the 9 major at 1.250. The design of the magazine causes problems, the bullets kink when going into battery. This in turn causes a fail to feed about 1 in 200 times. For some reason this does not happen in Caspian frames.  If your going to run 9x19 long you will need to lengthen the throat some. My best suggestion is to load somewhere between 1.175 and 1.190  for best results. The flat points will need to be loaded shorter, or again the chamber will need throat work.  Hope this helps.

I had just the opposite experience of Rob. My gun runs great from 1.20 - 1.250. Less and the mags gave me problems with nosedives. It might be the geometry of the Tribrid AET feed ramp or maybe the way George built the gun. I'm not sure if there is any way to set the gun up for a specific OAL or not. All I know is the thing runs 100%. I found 3n37 to be the best bet.

• 4 weeks later...

Remy,

I was using Star .356 124's with 8.5 grains of 3n37 at 1.250. it was a 169 PF. Now with the OAl restriction gone I have to start over. I've been out with my back screwed up so I haven't done anything since the ban was listed. I had better accuracy with the .356 bullets over the .355's.