Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning

JKSNIPER

Just an FYI for some.

I recently saw somewhere a recommendation to use Breakfree to clean barrels.

I would be very hesitant to do this.

Breakfree stays in the barrel of the weapons and can affect future accuracy.

This we found out in rifles (sniper) but I imagine it would do the same to pistols too.

Use a solvent to clean and lubricants to lube areas that need lube.

Don't use products meant to lubricate in your barrel.

Just my .02

JK

you're leaving out the "P" part of the CLP equation. All my firearms get lubricant in the bore after cleaning. I'd rather have a little residue that will wipe out before shooting or shoot out with a fouling round than a rusty bore.

you're leaving out the "P" part of the CLP equation. All my firearms get lubricant in the bore after cleaning. I'd rather have a little residue that will wipe out before shooting or shoot out with a fouling round than a rusty bore.

I've always used breakfree in my barrel even on my remington bolt gun. If that's no good what do you protect them with? How about Rem Oil?

Mule

Breakfree stays in the barrel of the weapons and can affect future accuracy.

There shouldn't be anything in your barrel when you go to shoot. It is a good idea to leave a very thin bit of oil on the bore as protection after cleaning before you store it and swab it out with a couple dry patches before shooting. CLP = clean, lubricate, protect. I don't think it does any of those particularly well though! Jack of all trades, master of none sort of thing.

I have great luck with CLP. While it may not be as effective as a dedicated solvent for the tough stuff, it does great with a reasonable maintenance schedule.

In terms of the P, CLP is usually at the top when it comes to protection from corrosion.

I don't use Break Free or CLP for cleaning or lubricant, but that's neither here nor there, everyone has their own preferences.

But for rust protection, oil is a loser. Oil is liquid and sooner or later, it will run to the lowest point and leave the metal bare. Believe it or not, cosmoline is still one the best rust preventers, but a bear to use and remove. One of the next best is Rig grease. Gun tests did a test on rust preventatives a long time ago, and Rig did very well. I run a patch coated with it through the bore before putting the gun away. A patch with just about any solvent will remove it when you are ready to shoot.

I don't know much but the lessons I have learned in shooting have usually been learned the hard way.

This much I know.

Never leave ANYTHING in your bore UNLESS you're storing the firearm for a lengthly period of time.

Breakfree (and just about anything left in your bore) WILL cause cold bore shots and subsequent ones to go wander around the target.

Until it has been "shot out" of the barrel which in the case of breakfree can take a lot of shooting.

USMC Scout Snipers found this info out the hard way.

Perhaps shooting shorter distances it will not effect your round too much but why take a chance?

When your cleaning is done shoot some gun scrubber down the pipe to get everyting out of there.

If you're storing the weapon then use the preservative you prefer but realize that you'll have to clean it out prior to using the weapon again.

JK

I think CLP, and other specialty lubricants, are a problem because of the PTFE, and such, additives. If you use

something like remoil, a couple of dry patches may remove it but the CLP penetrates and adhears to the metals.

Even the Army's own manual states that if you need to switch lubricants for extream cold or hot lubricants, all CLP must first be

removed with a complete solvent wash. CLP is alright but I like FP-10, same idea but sticks better...