Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Illionois Section Stages and Details

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i shot production and took 1st overall came in to this match with a goal to not throw any penalties and accomplished it, one thing i need to work on it is moving on sand and stopping more gracefully on stage 6 i took down the front wall after i ran into it

Congrats Matt,

I was on the same sqaud as Matt and he shot a very solid match, and don't worry you didn't take the wall down, just moved it a bit!!!

i shot production and took 1st overall came in to this match with a goal to not throw any penalties and accomplished it, one thing i need to work on it is moving on sand and stopping more gracefully on stage 6 i took down the front wall after i ran into it

Congrats Matt,

I was on the same sqaud as Matt and he shot a very solid match, and don't worry you didn't take the wall down, just moved it a bit!!!

Nice job getting 3rd Jake. ;)

Who else shot this match??? How's you do?

4th Limited. 1st A.

Doncha just love it when a "b" shooter beat masters and As to win? Yawn... baggers. :ph34r:

He said he is an A shooter in Limited 10, so that makes me feel a little better. He beat me by 8/10ths of a percent. I believe the jam on stage 6 lost it for me. Should have had my mags tuned by HSmith.

Thanks

I was off today so I had a chance to mess around an load up some of the stages

from yesterday.

I had some trigger freeze issues, and was 2 mikes and a no shoot away from High Overall in Limited!!!

Edited by fortyfiveshooter

Thanks

from yesterday.

I had some trigger freeze issues, and was 2 mikes and a no shoot away from High Overall!!

Nice vids Jake...

I hate to burst your bubble, but you were not that close to high overall. Overall includes all divisions including open.

Thanks

from yesterday.

I had some trigger freeze issues, and was 2 mikes and a no shoot away from High Overall!!

Nice vids Jake...

I hate to burst your bubble, but you were not that close to high overall. Overall includes all divisions including open.

High Overall in Limited :wacko:

I am not that delusional to think HOA for the match :roflol:

Thanks

from yesterday.

Nice vids Jake...

High Overall in Limited :wacko:

I am not that delusional to think HOA for the match :roflol:

I too had a mike a ns and 3Ds. Not only that, but on the max trap I had 2 As where I didn't call them so I had to go back and shoot head shots. I figure if I had those mistakes back I would have been 5th or 6th, but then if the other guys could take their mistakes back they would again be ahead, so it is what it is... there are no what if....

You shot a great match and should be proud. I shot 3/4 of the match at the apex of my ability and the other 1/4 above it... that caused some mistakes. At least I didn't shoot well within and leave some out there. ;)

As would we all! Enjoy your victory, you earned it, then get to work on what you had trouble with at the match! ;)

I setup the stuff I had trouble with the day after the match and shot it until I had it down. The gun being off 3 to the left at 15yds didn't help. :o

Edited by JThompson

As would we all! Enjoy your victory, you earned it, then get to work on what you had trouble with at the match! ;)

I setup the stuff I had trouble with the day after the match and shot it until I had it down. The gun being off 3 to the left at 15yds didn't help. :o

There ya go bro, that makes all the difference in the world. ;) Remember that IL match we shot, gosh, two years ago? I had to put a new sight in at the last minute and didn't have a chance to get it sighted in properly and had some of the same fate. Didn't finish as well as you did though! :blush: I won't make that mistake again. <_<

There ya go bro, that makes all the difference in the world. ;) Remember that IL match we shot, gosh, two years ago? I had to put a new sight in at the last minute and didn't have a chance to get it sighted in properly and had some of the same fate. Didn't finish as well as you did though! :blush: I won't make that mistake again. <_<

I only shot one other Il sec match and that was 2007. I didn't start shooting USPSA until just over a year ago.

The reason I still did okay being off is most of the targets were pretty close, so it didn't hurt as much. I think it may have partially caused a mike and a NS, but that could be wishful thinking too.

Edited by JThompson

Chris... your splits are plenty fast, to the point where I wonder if you are just taking one sight picture for two shots. You transition are slow... there is no reason not to snap your eyes, and then the gun, to the next target... you appear be transitioning like a tank turret.... slow and steady. There is no reason to be so slow in moving from oe point to the other. Also, work on a littl foot speed... you can move better than that. Hell, I go 248 and out ran even the kids on one stage. :) I'm not saying to push that hard, but there is no reasonnot to run between shooting points isthere?

Edited by JThompson

i shoulda ran a touch faster, i kinda got spooked on the stage with the triangle. bout broke the 180 and almost swept myself it was close. so after that i just slowed down and was thinking the basics, safe gun handling and see my targets. it happend on our 3 rd stage we started on the classifier looking stages then went to the triangle. no making excuses but kinda woke me up in a sense, that hey i need to pay attention and do things right. serious it was one of my worst matches i shot this year. o well it was a good learning lesson. figuring i coulda been DQ'd in the 3rd stage of my day. thats how close it was.

im game to listening to what ever advise you guys can give me. ill work on the taget transistions, and i need to speed up my first shots. in practice im like 1.7 to 1.85 on first shots every now and then ill have a 1.55 or so. i need to practice the reloads. do you think im taking to much time on the papper? should i let em fly soon as the sight breaks the paper or should i do what im doing and actually looking at both sights and aiming for a A shot. any little tips you guys can offer im all ears. thanks guys -chris

i shoulda ran a touch faster, i kinda got spooked on the stage with the triangle. bout broke the 180 and almost swept myself it was close. so after that i just slowed down and was thinking the basics, safe gun handling and see my targets. it happend on our 3 rd stage we started on the classifier looking stages then went to the triangle. no making excuses but kinda woke me up in a sense, that hey i need to pay attention and do things right. serious it was one of my worst matches i shot this year. o well it was a good learning lesson. figuring i coulda been DQ'd in the 3rd stage of my day. thats how close it was.

im game to listening to what ever advise you guys can give me. ill work on the taget transistions, and i need to speed up my first shots. in practice im like 1.7 to 1.85 on first shots every now and then ill have a 1.55 or so. i need to practice the reloads. do you think im taking to much time on the papper? should i let em fly soon as the sight breaks the paper or should i do what im doing and actually looking at both sights and aiming for a A shot. any little tips you guys can offer im all ears. thanks guys -chris

You need to be on the target long enough to KNOW you have the hits. I would say you work on your time moving the gun from one target to another faster. You can only shoot as fast as you know you have the hit, but there are no restrictions on how fast you move from one to the next. I don't mean running between targets either... I mean when you have to move the gun from one to another when you are standing there. I would look at doing some timing drills... take a look at Matt Burkett's site for those. You slow you splits down a bit and put 3 target spaced a few feet apart. The object is to keep the same shot cadence through the whole array. So instead of pop-pop..........pop-pop.............pop-pop. You have pop....pop....pop....pop....pop....pop....pop. This will force you to drive the gun faster in between targets. You can't loose points for going to fast there, but you sure can eat time on the clock.

As to safety: If you need to move that speed to remain safe then that's the speed you need to move. I would setup some drills that put you close to the 180 and work them so you know where your muzzle is when pushing your speed. You can even do this in dryfire so the danger factor is reduced. I was lucky when starting shooting USPSA I'd been very muzzle conscious from years of shooting (plinking) I had that burned in at a young age. I did have to drill a bit for reloads and the added match/time pressure can push you into doing something dumb...

If you think you should slow down then you should... work the movement speed up in practice where you can control the danger level and the people exposed to it. Do it dry and push it up there to where you think it's getting harry (with an unloaded gun) Then back it off a bit and load her up and work it loaded and under a timer. If possible have a friend run the time for you and watch your actions. If not, get a video recorder and tape yourself and play it back to see how you did. Often, what you think you did and what actually happened are two very dif things.

Good luck and be safe

JT

Edited by JThompson

Good advice Jim. I would like to add that speed comes from economy of motion. Eliminate all the wasted motion. Work the draws and reloads in dryfire, ALOT. That is how I got better. Tons and tons of dryfire. Now I am using airsoft much more than dryfire. Those bb's keep you honest with what you saw in the sights. ;) Jim hit the nail on the head with your target transitions. That is where you will gain the speed while shooting most, not your shot splits. Work on indexing from target to target quicker than your shot splits. I am working transitions on plates with my airsoft gun and can see improvement. Get to the shooting as fast as possible then take the time needed to shoot A's. The good news is you will get there, but you got to put in the time and sweat in training.

Again good luck and be safe. :)