Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Take-Up & Over-Travel Screws

vous

Hi all

Does anyone know the specs for the over-travel & take-up screws used on the triggers for the Limited etc??

there arent really specs for it because of how the screw sits.. its all feel.

Leo

Hi Leo

Thanks for the reply. Apologies, didn't word this very well. It was more what are the screw specs that is are they M3, M4 and 5 mm/8 mm long etc or what!

I have read the various threads here and as you say it does seem to be all feel but wanted to be prepared if I have a problem when I am adjusting this and damage the screws. Mine seem to be very tight so will most probably need to heat to extract.

Hi all

Does anyone know the specs for the over-travel & take-up screws used on the triggers for the Limited etc??

there arent really specs for it because of how the screw sits.. its all feel.

Leo

Hi Leo

Thanks for the reply. Apologies, didn't word this very well. It was more what are the screw specs that is are they M3, M4 and 5 mm/8 mm long etc or what!

I have read the various threads here and as you say it does seem to be all feel but wanted to be prepared if I have a problem when I am adjusting this and damage the screws. Mine seem to be very tight so will most probably need to heat to extract.

mine always feels tight aswell, but thats because i put loctite on the thread. i got one of hennings longer over travel screws so it sits a bit further out.

Mystery solved last night when I finally took mine apart. It seems to be a standard M3 grub screw. The length can vary depending if you need it longer or not. I was able to adjust mine with the one that was in there, but it was a bit of a major to loosen it up even with a bit of heat.

However, all sorted now and the trigger is "sweet". I am using Hennings long firing pin and 13 lb hammer spring and the trigger is alot nicer than it was standard from the factory, which I thought wasn't that bad really.

Make sure the overtravel is not too agressive (too little). If you hold the trigger down and move the hammer, it should feel smooth and not rub. If you can feel the hammer rubbing against the sear, the overtravel is too little.

If the hammer is rubbing, you WILL have ignition problems. I learned the hard way.

Don't forget to loctite it!!

Make sure the overtravel is not too agressive (too little). If you hold the trigger down and move the hammer, it should feel smooth and not rub. If you can feel the hammer rubbing against the sear, the overtravel is too little.

If the hammer is rubbing, you WILL have ignition problems. I learned the hard way.

Thanks for the advice.

I have tested the set up and all seems fine but haven't shot it yet. Did you loctite it before actually live testing or do you do this after? I didn't want to loctite until I had live fired to be absolutely sure it will not be an issue.

Thanks for the advice.

I have tested the set up and all seems fine but haven't shot it yet. Did you loctite it before actually live testing or do you do this after? I didn't want to loctite until I had live fired to be absolutely sure it will not be an issue.

Locktight it after shooting. Take care not to set it too close, as you can actually move the muzzle before the bullet exits the barrel if you bottom out too hard when shooting fast. Give yourself some breathing room in other words.

Also, if you set the overtravel very short, test it again after few hundred rounds, and then every thousand rounds or so, because it can start rubbing after the parts wear out a bit. I use a bit longer overtravel now after ruining one match because of worn out sear... :) It might be even better because you dont hit the end of trigger movement and move the gun while firing.

Edit: I was slow...

Edited by askomiko

Thanks for the advice.

Locktight it after shooting. Take care not to set it too close, as you can actually move the muzzle before the bullet exits the barrel if you bottom out too hard when shooting fast. Give yourself some breathing room in other words.

I set mine correctly in January, once I learned about the hammer rubbing. I did not loctite, since I planned to 'test fire' it for a few weeks.

I ran over 2000 rounds through it and just started having misfires last week, but only on some of the higher primers. When I realized why, I readjusted and used some loctite.

My point is, you can shoot it for a while without loctite, just don't forget all together.