Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

oppinions on buying a semi auto 65x55 wanted........

gingerbreadman

Hello, my buddy just called me saying he knows of a good deal on a semi auto 6.5x55 ..... Is this a decent caliber? I want it for plinking and maybe the odd 100-200 yard goffer or coyote ......

I didnt have much time to talk about the make or model of the gun but i will know tonight.....  

I worrie being its a semi that its probly had several rounds through it...... how bad is this caliber for throat errosion and barrel life?? and how do i look the rifle over for signs of wear?? my bud has a 6.5x55 also so i can test shoot this big bad girl......

what are your oppinions......

-gbm-

My gosh why that caliber, and why a semi auto?

10 better cartridges are in no special order:

1.  270 Win

2.  30-06 Spgfld

3.  7x57 Mauser

4.  284 win

5.  280 Rem

6.  260 Rem

7.  7-08

8.  308 Win

9.  7 WSM

10. 270 WSM

Any of those in a good quality bolt gun.  My opinion.

What Semi-Auto?  It's not a US chambering in a semi-Auto that I can recall.  It must be a foreign military rifle or something custom, but 6.5X55?.  But the original chambering was a bolt rifle.  I personally like the 6.5 caliber myself, I've got a 6.5-06 planed for completion this summer.

tightloop I agree with you on the 6.5x55 If it is a custom chambering here in the US.  If it a European military rifle, that’s something else.  But the 6.5x55 is about the equivalent in popularity in Europe as the 06 is in the US.  Well maybe not! but close.  :)

I have a swede mauser 6.5 that I have put more than a few rounds through. As for the caliber itself I like it, I find it to be accurate and soft shooting. Its real popular in the military bolt action matches around here.  As for the occasional gopher and coyote it will do, matter of fact I shot a coyote this past october with it.  The semi auto part throws me off, never heard of one.  All in all its a pretty neat cartridge, especially if you like having something a little different.  

Still waiting for more info HOWEVER - if its a 6.5 semi then its likely the Ljungman 10 round semiauto surplused from the Swedish military. Very accurate with REAL 6.5x55 ammo - not the US made crap which is undersized b/c its based on the 30-06 case- use Norma or Lapua brand brass only. Rifle costs about $500 on the surplus market. Uses direct gas system like the AR-15. Similar to the Egyptian Hakim rifle but MUCH better quality.

In Sweden and Norway, we used the 6.5 on deer and moose - though be sure to use the right bullets for big game - again Lapua og Norma only.

At one time, this round was the darling of 1000 yard target shooters and it has much better BC generally than .30 cal match bulllet. You are right about .260 - balisticallty very similar but capable of hotter loads since its a new round while the CIP (SAAMI in USA) has to limit 6.5 due to Swedish mausers over 100 years old - even though they can take it - Swedish steel is supperior to German mauser steel and thus stronger.

Quote: from Carlos on 7:57 pm on Dec. 23, 2002

Still waiting for more info HOWEVER - if its a 6.5 semi then its likely the Ljungman 10 round semiauto surplused from the Swedish military. Very accurate with REAL 6.5x55 ammo - not the US made crap which is undersized b/c its based on the 30-06 case- use Norma or Lapua brand brass only. Rifle costs about $500 on the surplus market. Uses direct gas system like the AR-15. Similar to the Egyptian Hakim rifle but MUCH better quality.

In Sweden and Norway, we used the 6.5 on deer and moose - though be sure to use the right bullets for big game - again Lapua og Norma only.

At one time, this round was the darling of 1000 yard target shooters and it has much better BC generally than .30 cal match bulllet. You are right about .260 - balisticallty very similar but capable of hotter loads since its a new round while the CIP (SAAMI in USA) has to limit 6.5 due to Swedish mausers over 100 years old - even though they can take it - Swedish steel is supperior to German mauser steel and thus stronger.

Hey guys sorry for forgetting about this thread i started here. it is infact a Ljungman 10 round semiauto  from the swedish military, Tho i havent scene the gun my friend has and he knows his stuff, its not sporterized so theres no scope mounts, the guy wants $250 canadian for it, good deal, i dunno maybe, but the more i look at the ballistics of the caliber the more i realize its just a hair less than my .270 I decided to pass on the gun since it is just a military rifle and i dont realy need another "hunting" caliber, with a 300 ultra, .06 and a .270 all i really need is a varmit caliber such as 22-.250 or .223 or if i want to burn some barrels a .220 swift......

thanks for all the info boys......

-gbm-

• 3 years later...

old thread. this is an excelent cartridge and has survived many of the other cartridges mentioned. recently offered om ruger model 77 mk II, remington 700, win 70 and in CZ. I have a match cg-63 based on the model 96 swedish mouser.

6.5x55 is made in Sweeden, Its a very accurate round. Probably one of the more accuate rifles I have shot. Well I guess the only 6.5 I have ever shot was the Swedish mauser. But I have never heard of a 6.5 in a semi before. Hmm do you have any pictures.

But it is a superbly accurate semi-auto. Bores are almost always great, but be sure to check it as, for some reason, they don't seem to run as mint as the 1896/38 bolt guns. Not sure why as it is said (never checked to see if it was true) that the Swedes never used corrosive primed ammo.

They seem to be selling for a bit more in the last couple of years, not uncommon for someone to ask $695. Too much IMO unless it is mint, mint, mint.

I load the 6.5 and it will do an honest inch with the open sights with handloaded match ammo. Cast bullets seem to be hit or miss-either it shoots 'em well or it doesn't. Lots of complaints about cast and the 6.5. But you probably would not do cast in your semi anyway.

The Hakim was based on the Ljungman, not as nice and in 8mm, but pretty accurate(2" at 100 yards is not uncommon, 3" probably average). The Ljungman can shoot nearly as well as the bolt 6.5s and are beautiful pieces of machinery-just a little different. I've heard of shooters bragging about Ljungmans shooting nearly an inch at 100 yards, though I have never seen one to that well. I have seen an inch and a half with hand loaded ammo though.

Patrick is correct, that you can get your thumb or finger caught similar to the M1, but a few minutes familiarity should show you how to avoid it. I find they are easier than the M1 to avoid problems with the thumb. I don't know anyone who ever got caught by one and I know lots of folks who have had the old M1 thumb, sadly including me (but there are lots more folks fooling with M1s than Ljungmans so maybe it's a numbers thing).

Uses same shell plate on a Dillon 550 as the 30'06, is easy to load jacketed bullets for, Sierra makes several MatchKings, all of which work beautifully. Brass is easily obtained.

Surplus Swede ammo is available, pretty accurate, though not comparable with hand loads. I never really liked the commercial 6.5 loaded by Federal (hunting ammo) as it never shot less than about 2" or just a bit less for me in any Swede I tried it in.

I love the 6.5 Swedish cartridge, love the guns, and you can always peddle the Ljungman if it doesn't work out.

If the bore is excellent, you can easily sell it to me if you don't like it. Lots of us here would share loads for it with you. Many of the same guys would probably buy it from you.

Again, make sure the bore is not messed up-then, if you get it, you can get out of it if you don't like it.

WOW-just saw this was a real old thread-why did someone revive this one? Just when I had my hopes up the guy would PM me and say his buddy wanted $150 shipped and he was gonna pass on it-let me have a shot. Oh well, story of my life.

Bob

Bob

Edited by straightshooter1

Why a 6.5 Swede auto? Use the 260 REM. And oh by the way the rim on the Swede is about .015 larger and will need the bolt face opened. I have 3 M96 Swedes and a Win model 70 featherweight in the Swede. They are good shooters but it operates at a relatively low pressure compared to the 308 case offshoots...

Didn't I see Kelly N use an FAL style gun in .260 at the TX3 Gun in 2003???

Mick