Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

unsafe ammunition ?

Flexmoney

... My opinion, this is not unsafe ammo. I think the appropriate word is unserviceable as stated above. I also feel an inspection of the remaining ammo for the same problem would be reasonable.

I just gotta ask about this. I've asked about it from everybody that has posted it, and none have dared an answer (as a Range Official).

Why...as a Range Official...would you want to inspect, and cull, a shooter's remaining ammo (for backwards/sideways primers) ?

The obvious answer is that you believe that such ammo is unsafe.

??

I'll give you my answer as a range official --- CRO level. I'm not looking at the ammo for safety if it's just a backwards or sideways primer; I'm doing it to ensure that I (or another RO) won't have to stop the same competitor again for a round that sounds like but isn't a squib. I hate reshoots --- as a competitor they often bite me; as an RO they slow my stage or match down.....

Bonus --- assuming it's a new shooter/volume reloader, it's a teaching opportunity while you're looking at ammo....

Nik nailed it here. Your first obligation as an RO/CRO is safety, then maintining consistency and/or fairness, and lastly to keep the match flowing (administratively). If I can save that next stage RO/CRO the possible issue of a reshoot by inspecting and culling what I believe might be UNSERVICEABLE AMMO from a competitors match ammo, then I will do it. I do not feel it to be UNSAFE, but rather a hinderance to the match, and I will do my best to keep things moving by getting it out of the match. This is NOT a safety issue, but an administrative issue in my opinion. I hope this clarifies my opinion on the issue. I do not think there is a "hole" in the rulebook. I would be hard-pressed to find an RM who would not rule in the fashion I have outlined in my previous posts. Thats why they get paid the big bucks!!! ;)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you my answer as a range official --- CRO level. I'm not looking at the ammo for safety if it's just a backwards or sideways primer; I'm doing it to ensure that I (or another RO) won't have to stop the same competitor again for a round that sounds like but isn't a squib. I hate reshoots --- as a competitor they often bite me; as an RO they slow my stage or match down.....

Bonus --- assuming it's a new shooter/volume reloader, it's a teaching opportunity while you're looking at ammo....

Right on, big guy!

I always knew you had it in ya.

:cheers: