Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Marking Tool

michaels

anybody ever seen the tool that holds a marking pen and lets you mark a brass case with a line all the way around the case. I'm trying to find the url or link for it, but, I'm not having any luck. Anybody know where to find this item..?

thanks,

mike

Good Grief!

You could get a lot of practice in the time it takes to use that method to mark a few cases!

Put the loaded rounds in a 100-round box, headstamp up, and drag a colored "Sharpie" pen across them. Ten quick lines (5-10 seconds) and 100 rounds are marked.

Agreed. BTW, Jeff, how about including reloading data on Major9 loads now that it has been approved? I have looked at your collection of 9x21 data for loads under 1.155" OAL and yo do have some there, but what about a seperate section for 9x19 only w/ cautionary notes? Thanks for the excellent website Jeff! DVC TY44934

I mash the tip of the sharpie a little first so I get a nice fat line.

I also use two colors (red black) in an x pattern (each line applied just like Mr. Maas suggests) to make it real easy to pick yours out of a crowd of cases.

Regards,

The reason why some of us mark brass on the sides, not the case head, is because most of them land on their side and none of them land on their mouth (head up). Where we shoot there is a lot of junk brass around and you need to be able to pick yours out of the crowd.

Agreed. BTW, Jeff, how about including reloading data on Major9 loads now that it has been approved? I have looked at your collection of 9x21 data for loads under 1.155" OAL and yo do have some there, but what about a seperate section for 9x19 only w/ cautionary notes? Thanks for the excellent website Jeff! DVC TY44934

I'll gladly create a "9x19 Major IPSC Loads List", but to do that requires people to send me their proven loads. I requested input on the IPSC Mailing List a long while ago, and got only two responses.

If you know of good "9 Major" loads, send them on!

Information I need for the List:

Your Name

Your Email Address

Bullet Type

Bullet Weight

Powder charge and type

Cartridge OAL

Chronoed Velocity / Power Factor

Gun / barrel length

Other Notes you think are important

is because most of them land on their side and none of them land on their mouth (head up)

I have noticed that a large percentage of brass tends to sit on the ground with the case mouth very slightly upturned. My assumption is the extra mass in the base is biasing the cases to land base down, and or stay just slightly mouth upturned after coming to rest.

This all reminds me of something I saw in Scientific American a bit ago about toast always falling butter side down.

Here are two different sources for this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A1004725

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/r.../rajm/toast.htm

Regards,

Good Grief!

You could get a lot of practice in the time it takes to use that method to mark a few cases!

Flex,

Thanks for hooking the guys up with the link.

Jeff,

It takes me about 9 minutes to case gauge, stripe, box, and completely color the headstamp (color code for # times fired) for 200 rounds. Since I'm going to case gauge, box and mark the headstamp anyway, adding the stripe only adds about 4 minutes per 200, but just to be safe call it 5 minutes.

Yeah, I COULD use those 5, 10, or 15 minutes per week for extra practice, but most likely I would just waste them watching Robot Wars or surfing the net!

I mash the tip of the sharpie a little first so I get a nice fat line.

I also use two colors (red black) in an x pattern (each line applied just like Mr. Maas suggests) to make it real easy to pick yours out of a crowd of cases.

Regards,

Hey! You can't do that! :P

The Viray Boys have been using the red and black cross on their case heads since the early 1980s!

I demand you choose a new and distinct color scheme! :P:P:P

I demand you choose a new and distinct color scheme

It used to black & blue, and could possibly be again if I ever run afoul of the V boys ;-) Since I get my sharpies free as cast offs from my business, the color is subject to change without notice. So beware, no color scheme out there will ever really be safe :-)

It used to black & blue, and could possibly be again if I ever run afoul of the V boys ;-) Since I get my sharpies free as cast offs from my business, the color is subject to change without notice. So beware, no color scheme out there will ever really be safe :-)

It probably doesn't help us that my brother chose the two most common colors of Sharpie back in the day, huh? :rolleyes:

We're a lot like "Them Duke Boys." Watch out for us if'n y'all's a revenuer . . . don't git too close t' the still! :lol: