Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metal shavings on Dillon 550

safenate

i have some very fine (dust) shavings on the first pin on the shellplate and the surrounding area. It is near the powder funnel, but lighter proved it isn't ground powder. I don't do much lubing or such. Any help is appreciated.

I get this as well with the large primer system when I am loading .45ACP with ?X fired range brass. Close observation has shown me that it is usually from the paper clip(?) pusher that is used to hold the brass in place being slightly out of whack, causing the decapping pin to shave small slivers of brass out of the primer pocket.

The only other place I pick up the odd shaving from is on station 2 when expanding the case mouth/powder drop, you may have a few weak pieces of brass that won't take to being expanded again, and will shave slivers of brass off of the casemouth.

Hope that helps,

Chris

• 2 months later...

I have found semi circular shavings of silver colored metal which I think are shavings of the silver colored primers caused by the shell plate being ever so slightly out of perfect alignment when priming the case. I use a 550. Not sure how to fix this however and it does happen fairly often to me.

Try tightening your shellplate bolt more. If the plate is loose, the case is held at a slight angle when the primer is seated,

causing the edge of the primer cup to be clipped. This leaves feint crescent moon pieces. :ph34r: