Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Owner of 'Open' upper

safenate

I bought a used Lone Wolf Glock 17 slide with KKM threaded barrel & LW comp with LW red dot on it. I'm guessing the barrel is about 5" (between G34 & 17). I don't believe that comp will do much but i've been wrong before (ask wife for detailed list). My next case (or more) of MT gold will be the 121 or 124s. I'd like to try making 9major with Powerpistol. Any input? Thanks.

Edited by safenate

I bought a used Lone Wolf Glock 17 slide with KKM threaded barrel & LW comp with LW red dot on it. I'm guessing the barrel is about 5" (between G34 & 17). I don't believe that comp will do much but i've been wrong before (ask wife for detailed list). My next case (or more) of MT gold will be the 121 or 124s. I'd like to try making 9major with Powerpistol. Any input? Thanks.

Do a search for 9 major loads. I tried Power Pistol at Glock OAL and it didn't work well.

HS6, Silhouette, SP2, 3N37, WSF, are some powders I would use before Power Pistol.

Kind of mixed reports on the LW comp.

I built up a steel gun using the LW COMP,worked ok.

Did not do well at Major.

My major load which I got from a forum member is 7 gr of wsf at 1.145 with 124/125 jhp with a John Nagle Built Glock.

Makes 170 PF just fine and clean burning.

pat

I don't like HS-6 either. It is accurate and soft, but filthy. 3n-37 shoots incredibly good, and is THE most consistent powder I have ever used for anything. ES under 10 and SD of 3 with Winchester once fired brass and SRP. The 'problem' with it is heat, it puts heat into the gun extremely fast. I have never seen a handgun heat up the way 3n-37 does in 9 major or Super, the cases will literally blister your skin when they eject. So, I use it for match shooting, and generally only major matches. Silhouette feels identical, I can't tell the difference and neither can anyone else that I have found. It doesn't put the heat into the gun nearly as fast but it is a little inconsistent over the chrono, it will have an ES in the 20's. Cleanliness and accuracy is very good for an open major load. Longshot works well and you can buy it anywhere. It is somewhat dirty but not nearly as bad as HS-6, it also isn't all that consistent over the chrono.

HSmith,

Thanks, good info there. I don't mind a little flake/soot on my arms, but after 200 rounds of HS6, i need a shower. And that's saying something. I'll try the PP & 3N37 i have now and experiment with Silh after that. I've wanted to try Ramshot for a while, but want to burn up some of the random powders i have now.

I got the upper, put it on my G34 and took it straight to the range. It is pretty accurate with the dot BUT it is 90% single shot. I emailed the seller, but he says he had no problems with WWB. My handloads are very close to WWB 115@1150. The rear plate looks like someone used a Dremel to get it to fit. He swears it is factory from LW. I'm not happy about it. The slide comes back just enough to catch the brass in a chamber-oriented stovepipe. I am starting workup loads to major & maybe they will function better, but it is the stock spring/guiderod.

The trigger is also close to factory VS the G34 stock setup. I'll have to research that & make them near the same. I have a LS Lightweight striker to play with as well. Good thing i have a while before stepping full into the Open realm.

I got the upper, put it on my G34 and took it straight to the range. It is pretty accurate with the dot BUT it is 90% single shot. I emailed the seller, but he says he had no problems with WWB. My handloads are very close to WWB 115@1150. The rear plate looks like someone used a Dremel to get it to fit. He swears it is factory from LW. I'm not happy about it. The slide comes back just enough to catch the brass in a chamber-oriented stovepipe. I am starting workup loads to major & maybe they will function better, but it is the stock spring/guiderod.

The trigger is also close to factory VS the G34 stock setup. I'll have to research that & make them near the same. I have a LS Lightweight striker to play with as well. Good thing i have a while before stepping full into the Open realm.

If it has a comp, the stock spring/guide rod is too heavy. I run a 14# spring with major pf loads and 10# spring with minor 135~140 pf loads.

:surprise: :surprise: :surprise: That doesn't sound right. Other than checking and making sure the slide can move without getting bound up anywhere, make sure guide rod is OK and all other function checks. How does the slide move without the recoil spring in, does it slide smooth?

HoMie- the only oddity i can put my finger on is during installation. After sliding the upper on to the front rails, i have to tilt the rear of the slide up for the rear plate to clear the ejector. It would hit about 1/32" up the rear plate otherwise. Next step is to swap an original rear plate to check for clearance/reliability.

Swap uppers and parts around and see if you can narrow the problem down.

I never have to lift my slide up to clear the ejector, just make sure its in line and it goes right on. Use a black sharpie and see where it's rubbing.

I have spent a lot of time with Power Pistol (PP) shooting .40 open and 9mm major open both with Glocks. I do not believe that you can push PP to make major with a 124gr 9mm bullet and achieve any consistency with the load (high SD, high ES). I had some success with a 147nr MGD pushing it at ~1150pfs to make major (6.4gr PP). I tried to push 124's and found that the velocity seems to peak out in the 1200fps range at most.....more powder did not equal higher fps, well short of major, with PP.

I highly recommend Silhouette for 9mm. It's a nice dense powder that meters well and does not fill up a 9mm case to make major (7.3-7.8 gr for my open guns). Silhouette is essentially an updated version of WAP that many shooters know quite well.

Matt,

I'll try 115s w/ PP & 3N37, until i order 121s or 124s. Thanks for the input.

Harmon,

I've had this G34 for about 2 months & about 3K rounds. It hasn't been cleaned while i've had it. It isn't too dirty (my AR is MUCH worse). I'll hit it with a rag/brush though.

HoMiE,

I plan on doing the trouble-shooting matrix as soon as i get some ammo assembled. Take the w's G17, the G34, upper & perhaps the rear plate from the G26. THEN write down results as parts are swapped in an organized fashion. Noting results with what works & what doesn't. This may not happen immediately, as i'm not seeking an a$$whoopin' in Open for a while.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Note for the LW upper. I swapped the rear plate today and shot both uppers for 50+ rounds today- no problems at all, in either. The LW upper with Dot is very tight, esp. with working up to major loads. Only took 115s up to 1400 fps today. At 100 yds i swear it would hold a 6-8 inch circle from a sandbag rest.

Harmon, still haven't wiped it down. Sorry man.

Next stop, striker & striker spring swap.

Larry,

I put up a poll to see if i'm too hard on my guns. I have trusted my life to several Glocks, Sigs, HKs, etc with at least that much shooting between cleanings. I don't trust most of the guys i work with, for comparison (esp. when they are shooting). Quality COMBAT guns with quality ammo should provide decades of use, without neglect (saltwater). This is noted by the 10s of thousands of guys shooting a 100 year old military pistol for competition & combat.

Are you using the LWD minor comp (2 top ports and 4 side) or the one they originally made for their .40 (3 top ports and 4 side I believe)?

Their minor comp will flip way too much with 9mm major loads. The .40 comp will ok. When I had the .40 comp and LWD barrel, I ran an ISMI spring 13# reliably. The 15# was too much since the steel comp absorbs a lot of energy.

I've seen guys use 115gr JHPs with 9.0gr HS6, but the gun would probably handle like crap. Try a 124 or 125gr bullet with 8.0gr HS6 @ 1.15" OAL, which chronos at about 170PF to 175PF depending on your barrel. This will run well in your setup. Let me know how it goes!

PS: you really should clean your gun! I clean mine before every match, to make sure I don't run into any unexpected hiccups...

Edited by The Outsider

Outsider,

Thanks for the recipes. I may try 121s after ordering my next case(s) from MT Gold. Not sure which pow-pow i'll use yet. I need to clean, just hard to clean when i have ammo to shoot or brass to reload...