Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First Ever Shootoff!

Matthew_Mink

As most of the USPSA world is aware by now, I was the B class shooter who managed to get 3rd Overall at FGN. Still was a long way off from Mr. Sevigny and Mr. Leatham, but what the heck, I'm not a professional! The highlight of this trip for me was getting to go to the shootoff. I won round one. I won round two. I won round three, and suddenly was facing Dave himself. The final round is best 2 out of 3, so here we go:

http://www.hotspringsar.net/fgn/mink_sevigny1.mpg

http://www.hotspringsar.net/fgn/mink_sevigny2.mpg

http://www.hotspringsar.net/fgn/mink_sevigny3.mpg

[Moderator's note: I made the links "hot" by adding - http:// - in front of the - www....

Be patient, especially if you're on dial-up, because the files are 3.5 to 5.1 megs.]

A friend of mine shot these, and couldn't get the steel in the frame also, so he just settled on the shooters.

I was pretty happy with my first ever Shootoff participation! I also got to talk to Dave somewhat later, and he said he loved it when we went to 3 rounds. He loves the competition, and so do I.

After the awards ceremony, I must have had 30 B class shooters come up to me and tell me I was the B class hero for life. I had to explain to them, that alas, I am no longer a B card carrier, I was informed by Dave Thomas of an A card on the way. WooHoo!

i wish i had a way of getting my video to you....i was filming at the 180, though i don't have the steel in the picture i do have both shooters in the frame from the holster side. it's nice to watch both draw from the holster at the same time.

Way to go, Good Job!!! Score one for the average shooter.

Have you ever shot with him? He's not average by average standards. He smokes the stages pretty hard. I'd be willing to bet he does that thing the Pract...Cheating thing! :D

Matt,

Great Job! Hope you enjoy yourself in Master Class. :lol:

Liota

Thanks to the mods for making the links hot.

Thanks to everyone else for the compliments.

Liota, I was begging Dave Thomas for a M card, but all he said he could do was A. Oh well....

Lynn, I was thinking about that serpa thing, but I would rather have belly dancers carrying buckets of sand on their heads.

As for that practice thing, I never seem to find the time.... I'm going to have to for next year's FGN and see if I can close that nearly 18% gap.

i wish i had a way of getting my video to you....i was filming at the 180, though i don't have the steel in the picture i do have both shooters in the frame from the holster side. it's nice to watch both draw from the holster at the same time.

Hey Limited40, do you have it on VHS or is it a file?

they are on an 8mm video camera, sharp is the brand name. i could copy them to a vhs and send them to you. however i don't know how to digitize them into mpeg. i think i'll ask for a digital camcorder for christmas.

So how does a B class shooter end up shoulder to shoulder with a GM? Is the classification system that screwed up?

Well, Dave's shoulders were 18% higher than mine and Robbie's were 8% higher but I know what you mean. The classification system isn't totally screwed up, I just shot like a GM I guess.

Lynn, I was thinking about that serpa thing, but I would rather have belly dancers carrying buckets of sand on their heads.

matt, i'm sure you can find male belly dancers in arkansas, but i wouldn't try any where else. :D

So how does a B class shooter end up shoulder to shoulder with a GM? Is the classification system that screwed up?

Well, Dave's shoulders were 18% higher than mine and Robbie's were 8% higher but I know what you mean. The classification system isn't totally screwed up, I just shot like a GM I guess.

I have been shooting, off and on, with Matt for almost a year now. Believe me, his ability has grown exponentially over the last year. He is far from a "B" class shooter, the system just hasn't caught up with him yet....

BTW...Matt, Great shooting at FGN. I guess Larry located some sort of cranial support device to get you home :D

Hey Robert! Thanks again, it was good catching up with you at FGN.

They went and rented a flatbed trailer, just for me. After securing aforementioned cranium to the trailer, we were off. It was kinda windy and we kept getting stopped by Highway Patrol, but it wasn't bad.

Wayne called us while we were halfway home and he had already heard and mentioned hearing we needed a trailer. He must have had some operatives working in and around FGN, probably Agent Lofton.