Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calling the shot in long distance

When you have a difficult shot or a long shot where actually calling the shot is most important, the shooter is using the 4th type of focus (total concentration on the sights, respectfully front sight). So you can’t see the target clearly and you can’t be absolutely sharp that the perfect sight alignment is in the exact middle of the a zone. In this situation should I rely completely to the NPA to call my shot. If the sight alignment is very little to the left or right in this type of focus in my opinion is not possible to catch this because of the total concentration on the sights. Please tell me your opinion about this? Thanks

I'm no GM Shot caller but I have found that I can call hole locations much better at

longer distances. Why? because I am paying attention to my sights. :D I think Bseevers

is right, you can still see the target, just not as clear. You see them both together as a

complete picture, at long distances your shooting where the gun settles (in the picture) and not

a specific pinpoint. Through practice it will settle in the same spot, the center of the blur...

Well...I can tell you that while sighting in the rifle today, I was able to call my shots with better than normal accuracy. One thing that I learned from not shooting much in the last few years was to be more accurate, but also to learn to call my shots. I spent a lot of time and energy in seeing what was going on in front of me. Not just the sights moving as I'm wanting to move them to where I want to hit, but also at that split second of ignition and the bullet leaving the barrel where the sights were. It's really helped me out in every aspect of my shooting.

In your case, there is something to be said about NPA. However, turn up the attention to what's going on in front of you, and you'll be suprised as to what you will see and how quickly you can act (not react) on what's happened.

Rich

First of all thank you guys for the fast reply! Actually it’s a matter of NPA and combination of the relationship of what you see as combine sight picture. I am focusing am can see clearly what is happening with my sights just from time to time especially in group of targets during the transition maybe I am not stopping them exactly in the middle of the target. I will practice to clear that out. Thanks!

Ok I tried two words. ;)

NPA on a long shot is a miss waiting to happen. NPA is associated with Close fast shots usually.

You must learn sight picture, grip and trigger control to hit an A at 50 yards or a B at 25 yards. Accurate shooting problems quickly reveal shooting technique flaws. I think trigger is probably the most important thing in a hard shot. But if you are not aiming correctly then it doesn't matter. I feel that more study and practice in shot calling will eventually result in that Ah-Ha moment. There is more after that too.

PS Do you see the muzzle flash?

Just read your sights.

...and trust what you see. I am back to irons for a season and I wear glasses with the right lens set for the front sight and the left lens taped over. I can't even shift my focus to see a sharp target then back to the sights. The target is not in sharp focus...ever, but the center of the out of focus aiming area is still the center of the area, blurry or not. Accept the wobble zone, trust your vision, and just call the shot. The bullet went where the sights lifted.

When you have a difficult shot or a long shot where actually calling the shot is most important, the shooter is using the 4th type of focus (total concentration on the sights, respectfully front sight). So you can’t see the target clearly and you can’t be absolutely sharp that the perfect sight alignment is in the exact middle of the a zone. In this situation should I rely completely to the NPA to call my shot. If the sight alignment is very little to the left or right in this type of focus in my opinion is not possible to catch this because of the total concentration on the sights. Please tell me your opinion about this? Thanks

If the target is so far that it is tough to focus on the sights and still hit it, I prefer not to use type 4. I encountered a target like this at yesterdays match. It was a 35 yard mini popper. I just lined up the sites, then went to a trigger focus (type 5). When paper gets out to about 50 yards and steel out to 30-35, I really think type 5 is the way to go.

In any event, when shots are tough, I wouldn't worry about my NPA at all. The sights are the best way to call shots.

I think Saul Kirsch wrote something along the lines that precise front to rear sight alignment is more critical to good hits than precise front sight to target alignment.

The short distance between the two sights far from the target implies a much larger angular error for a visual misalignment than the same apparent misalignment between properly aligned sights and the target itself.

OK, here in my input.

NPA...has absolutely nothing to do with calling the shot.

Being indexed on the target within your NPA can assist in making the shot...since you won't have to muscle the gun around as much to keep it aligned on target...but, it has no real input as to calling while shooting A-zones at distance.

Calling the shot at distance as ALL about VISION on the front sight.*

- locate the target

- get the gun on target

- get a razor sharp focus on the front sight (if you notice that you are drifting off target, then yeah...your index is off, but that is a different issue from calling the shot)

- accept your wobble

- keep the gun on target...while keeping a razor sharp focus on the front sight...as you

- smoothly break the shot

If you see how the front sight was situated when it lifted in recoil (no blinking), then you should be able to call the shot.

Travis T. has a good video: http://www.myoutdoortv.com/pdk/web/single_...G5t3pOWYel3mZC8

* disclaimer that I'm not even going to type, since it doesn't help out here.