Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just getting back into shooting, looking for advice

DenGuyTx

I've been around guns most of my life, and I've shot guns recreationally, but never anything serious. I've never done the type of shooting you guys do; I've probably never fired a round while moving, drawn from a holster and fired, etc. Anyway, I'd like to get back into shooting a little and maybe expand my skill set. I've got a Glock 17 and put some Heinie sights on it and I think I might do something like a Vanek trigger.

Other than just going to my local indoor range and shooting slow fire at paper, what should be my first step into getting a little better? I guess my intermediate goal is to get to where I would be comfortable trying out a local IDPA match.

Phone or email the match director for a match near you explain that you are totally new but would like to come out and try a match. Some clubs will have an orientation for new shooters others will just stick you with an experienced shooter for the day. Someone here may also be willing to meet you at a range to get you started, where are you located?

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Whether you read, watch or observe, shoot a match with the intent of having fun. After you've shot a couple, your persona changes and now your comfortable, your excited, your in the zone, your addicted, you've felt the rush. If not, you're just having fun... Good Luck!

Len

+1 on what Greg said.

Contact a local match director and tell him the situation. Your area may have IDPA or USPSA matches. Go with whatever is local and that is available.

And welcome to the forum.

DenGuyTx welcome! Use the club locator option on the IDPA by typing International Defensive Pistol Association and USPSA by typing US Practical Shooting Association (that's how I do it and I have no trouble getting there and that is what comes up for my search!). Check out local club/s. Go to a match or matches and practice days if they have them. Ask a lot of questions and check things out. Many of the guys and gals you meet here shoot IDPA or USPSA or both and are great people. Be sure to let them know your background and that you are a new competitor and you will get the help you need. We were all newbys at one time (me loooong ago!) so don't let that hold you back. And finally, if you have been lurking for long you know by now that IDPA and USPSA are adictive - Be Prepared.

Good shooting,

Richard