Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

witnessed a blazer brass squib today

lowetlx

Well i was at the range today testing out my first batch of reloads ever.(i was hoping that i would not have to worry about any being squbs) There was couple of younger guy/boys shooting a few stalls down and i noticed that after while they were messing with the gun on the bench had it in pieces. I looked back from time to time and they were messing with it for like 15 mins. I could see where i was that it was a 1911 of some sort so i walked down to see what was the trouble and the kid says that there was a bullet lodged in the barrel they were able to get it out but he was having trouble getting the slide reassembled. i walked the 2 through assembling the top end and I asked were he got the ammo. turns out it was a box of blazer brass. the shell looked suprisingly clean which leads me to believe there was little to no powder in the round. Ive heard of this but never actually seen it. I told the kids to keep the bullet as a good luck charm as he was lucky he didnt fire another round behind it.

• 3 weeks later...

After hearing that, I guess I don't feel so bad about the 3 squibs I've had in 3000 rounds of reloading. Unfortunately, my 9 year old son shot one of those 3 during a very difficult stage that he was absolutley smoking. He was doing great, right up until the little "pop". When he shot the reshoot he did horrible.

I hope he forgives me.

After hearing that, I guess I don't feel so bad about the 3 squibs I've had in 3000 rounds of reloading. Unfortunately, my 9 year old son shot one of those 3 during a very difficult stage that he was absolutley smoking. He was doing great, right up until the little "pop". When he shot the reshoot he did horrible.

I hope he forgives me.

If you are loading on a progressive it sounds like you would be a perfect candidate for a RCBS Lock-Out die. It could be a $45 investment that saves you from a $500+ KB. Not to mention a lot of grief during stages.