Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Articles

Many times I see on this and other forums, usually a newer shooter asks a question along the lines of "What's the best gun?" The response is something like: "It's the singer not the song."

My theory is that your gun will make a difference of a few percentage points, at most, and nothing more.

What I've always wanted to do to test my theory is set up a few simple stages, (El Prez and others like it come to mind,) and run it several times with, say, a Glock. Then several times with an STI. Then with ??? Then change shooters and do it again...and see what happens.

I think there will be a short "learning curve" upon the initial switch from one gun to another...i.e. the drastic difference in grip angle from one gun to another can cause the presentation to be off at first, but one will adjust quickly.

To even the playing field you obviously need to use guns with similiar capacity, holsters and sights.

I've just never had the time to do it. I think it is very fundamental to see, definitively, what if any diffefrence a gun makes.

Just my .02

I'm sure there will be something in there about tying in physical fitness with shooting at the top of your game.... wink.gif

Check the article on the site right now. ;)

Hey Jake, How about some tips or info about stage planning/ breakdown/ tatics. This is one of the areas it's hard to find info on.

Cool, I'll throw somethin together first chance I get.

Went to the website and read your article. It makes sense, so I went to the crossfit website...OMG...if I was 20 years younger or my back was 20% better!! What a workout. I went to the site for the one in Albuquerque, and was really tempted :unsure:

Anyway, looks like you are on the right track...epecially with the nutrition!

Keep the articles coming....nice style of writing

Cheryl :)

How about building a training plan for new competitors? One issue I'm facing, mostly due to the BE Forums, is there there is SO MUCH info here I don't have the experience to prioritize which things to read, practice, and how to measure when it's time to move to the next lesson.

Here's an example. I know I need to work on my NPA, and then be able to draw to that. Once that is going okay, should I work on transitions, foot movement to the next box, or shooting from cover? If I have X hours a week to devote to improving my shooting game, is there a good mix between Weight training, cardio, movement, dry-fire, live fire, studying tactics, dry-skills (draw, load, re-load), and reading the BE forum?

Leam

Whew...that's a big question.

As a few of you might have noticed, I'm posting dry fire WOD's on my website now so that could be a good place to start.

I'll try and get something up in the next few days on that Leam.

Thanks! Between you and CrossFit we'll all be doing daily workouts! Maybe next is "5 Lunges, the 2 on 2 at 15 yards". :)

And you're right, it's a very big question that you could evolve into a book with some minor effort. Consider this; BE's book is fantastic to take a skilled shooter to the next level. There are videos that talk about basic skills, books on the head game, books on dry-fire. You're looking at the problem in an holistic, or system view. As a systems engineer myself, I like that. :)

Leam

• 2 months later...

Thanks. I'm going to get some this weekend and use them in the gym. I need cleats for the ranges I shoot at. I just wipe out with anything else. I'm also going to try to get some Injinji (sp?) socks just for general use. My feet are also the first thing to bother me so they're worth a try.