Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS gun upgrades?

Z-man

I was lucky enough to come away from Area 1 with a Springfield Armory GI model 1911. Now I'm looking to build it into a nice Single Stack, L-10, IDPA gun. Being my first 1911, I'm not sure what all I need. I really don't need super fancy (ie. expensive), but know I want good sights, trigger, magwell.

So far I'm thinking Techwell Magwell, maybe Heinie or Bomar sights, etc...

Any advice one what's needed and who might be a good and reasonable gunsmith to put it together would help!

By the time you buy the sights, beaver tail, better trigger and have the smith' do the work, I'd sell it and buy a STI Trojan if you want to shoot SS.

If I had bought the mil spec I would sell it and get the trojan but since you won it you have the base to build for free. For your mil spec If I'm thinking right they would have to mill the slide for sights, drop in new trigger parts as stockers just don't hold up in my opinion, fit a beaver tail, and ambi safeties. The thing is you have a free gun to start with so you would probably be out 500 maybe? If you can live with the stock grip safety and thumb safety that springer puts on them then a trigger job, a SVI magwell if your racey or a Smith alexander blended if your more traditional and your sights and you should be good. I'm not up todate on the going prices so it might be more or less.

Edited by steel1212

With the GI the ejection port will need to be lowered and while your there flare it. Go with a S&A magwell, it will do two things give a decent mag opening and get rid of the ILS system in the main spring housing. A set of sights to your liking and a complete fire control system. The frame to slide and barrel fit have been getting real good in the last couple of years, so you shouldn't have to do anything there. A beavertail and thumb safety/ambi and a good set of squared bottom grips and you will have a decent shooter for quite sometime. Becareful 1911's can be habit forming.

Rich

With the GI the ejection port will need to be lowered and while your there flare it. Go with a S&A magwell, it will do two things give a decent mag opening and get rid of the ILS system in the main spring housing. A set of sights to your liking and a complete fire control system. The frame to slide and barrel fit have been getting real good in the last couple of years, so you shouldn't have to do anything there. A beavertail and thumb safety/ambi and a good set of squared bottom grips and you will have a decent shooter for quite sometime. Becareful 1911's are habit forming.

Rich

Fixed it for ya Rich :cheers:

Edited by steel1212

• 2 weeks later...