Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Serpa Level II Holsters and Glock 34?

The G34 isn't listed with any of the Serpas. But does anybody know if the G34 will fit a Serpa Level II made for the G17? Or can they at least be (easily) modified?

Thanks.

Yes, the muzzle will stick out just a little, so dont sit in the dirt.

The G34 isn't listed with any of the Serpas. But does anybody know if the G34 will fit a Serpa Level II made for the G17? Or can they at least be (easily) modified?

Thanks.

A G17 holster will work. I use this when I'm carrying my G34 around town. Don't worry about dirt...it's a Glock. ;)

Rich

If you are going this route for competition and have a .285 or .300 high dawson precision front sight, just make sure the sight will clear the sight channel. If the sight is below the bottom of the holster and won't easily clear the sight channel you could jam that bad boy up pretty good on the draw.

• 2 months later...

I have a Serpa LII for a G17 on back order. I have one for a 1911. I don't spend much time with it as I use it as a specialty holster and as such don't use it much.

For those of you that have a Glock and Serpa with the lock, what do you guys think of this?

Why no Serpa holsters?

An answer from our friend Paul Gomez: Begin Quote “Over the last year, I have developed some serious concerns with the Blackhawk Serpa Active Retention holster design. Various persons have brought these concerns to the attention of Blackhawk on several occasions and Blackhawk has chosen to ignore these very real issues.

The ‘Serpa Active Retention’ design consists of a plastic L-shaped component which functions as the release button [from the outside of the holster] and as the lock [which engages inside the trigger guard]. The short leg of the L-shaped lever pivots inward [toward the pistol], while the locking tab pivots outward to release the pistol from the holster.

According to the Blackhawk website, ”The release is made using your normal drawing motion, with the trigger finger beside the holster body. … As your trigger finger naturally comes to rest on the SERPA lock’s release mechanism, simply push the mechanism as you draw the weapon and it releases the gun for a smooth, fast draw.”

While Blackhawk may intend for the end-user to apply inboard pressure with the flat of the index finger, under stress, shooters tend to push the button with the tip of their index finger. After all, this is the manner in which most people have the most repetitions pushing buttons such as keys on a keypad or phone or ringing doorbells. When the finger pushes in on the release button and the user initiates the upward motion of the draw stroke, the finger tends to stay in motion and as the trigger guard clears the holster, the finger enters the trigger guard and contacts the trigger, with possibly tragic results.

I am aware of two instances where trained personnel have shot themselves using this holster in conjunction with Glock pistols. In August of 2004, a situation occurred with a live weapon that resulted in the shooter losing a 10cm piece of her femur. The other occurred with nonlethal training ammunitions in a force-on-force event in April of 2005. The impact of the NLTA was in the same area as the actual gunshot wound previously mentioned.

Following each of these events, Blackhawk was contacted and advised of the problems observed and concerns raised. In the first instance, they claimed that they were unaware of any previous issues with the design and insisted that the design had been ‘thoroughly tested by law enforcement and military personnel’.

After the second event, they were contacted by at least two people. Again, they stated that they were unaware of any concerns and had heard nothing similar from any sources.” End Quote

This won't be a problem with a 1911 since I snap of the safety at step 2/3 of the draw.

But with a Glock with a lightened trigger... I don't know.

Anybody here have any problems?

I use one for my M-11, and my finger comes to rest on the side of the receiver above the trigger on the draw every time.

Secondly, if someones finger ends up on the trigger, it's because 'they' put their finger there. The I've never seen any holster force someone's finger to the trigger. It sounds like bad training, lack of practice, and excuses to me.

Gomez knows his stuff.

I put my big freakin clown ears on (so I can hear better) when he talks on these matters.

He has given ongoing updates on the Serpa as time (changes) went by. I am not sure where he stands with them now. I do trust that he has studied the topic as much as any trainer on the planet.

I am currently using a Serpa LV II holster for my Glock 22. I have had no problems with it at all. The only thing that is different is that because it is my limited blaster and I had different sights put on it I am using one for a model 21 instead of for a 17/22. This gives the front sight enough room to clear the holster without scraping along the sight channel. It is still secure enough that I can run with the pistol in the holster and not worry about it falling out and I still have pretty good draw times too. Hope this helps.