Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions on PT program

dsb45acp

OK, I'm seriously overweight and out of shape (6'0" & 295#) with a 42 inch waist. I have a infomercial PT program at home called Power 90; it is basically circut training and aerobics. I feel that I'm not ready for the challenge of Crossfit and would like to use this program to start me back on the road to fitness. I don't have a specific wt or "image" in mind, I just want to become strong again and I need to markedly improve my cardiovascular endurance. Does anyone have any experience with this program? Good or poor results? Any altertanative suggestions?

I don't know anything at all about the Power 90 system, but anything that makes you move around on a regular basis can't be bad. If you will actually use the program in a dedicated and disciplined manner it will probably be a great starter system. Nothing says you can't change your program up later as you gain fitness/lose weight.

Good luck!!

I looked at the Power 90 website. Here are some observations/suggestions.

Obligatory disclaimer: I'm not one of the fitness gurus here, but I'm in far better shape now than I was as a teenager. Reason: I work at it. Shooting, and keeping up with M-class guys half my age, has been the impetus to stay in better shape.

Any video-based program will have some effect ... as long as you do the video 3-4 days/week. That usually works well for a while, then the novelty wears off, 'life' gets in the way, and the videos gather dust.

Far better to integrate activity into your normal daily routine -- take the stairs, park farther from the office door, go out for a walk on your lunch hour, take a lap or two of the block between dinner and your evening activity. walk the dog, etc. Look for activity that you can sustain for months-to-years. Understand that it took you a while to get to 295#/42", it'll take a while to bring that down. That's OK.

Start with low-impact activity -- brisk walking, swimming, bicycle, something where there isn't a ton of stress across joints and deconditioned muscles.

Modify your diet; again look for changes that are sustainable over the long term -- decrease fat & processed carbohydrates. A lot of the guys here like the Zone (talk w/XRe) or Paleo (talk w/Jake DiVita) diets. My favorite is a book called 'Vegetarian Sports Nutrition'. See posts elsewhere on training diets. Short version: energy expenditure has to be greater than calorie intake; and your intake should be high-nutritional-quality calories.

Since you're just starting with a training regimen, I'd really recommend spending the $29.95 installments on a couple of sessions one-on-one with a personal trainer. Call the local physical therapy practices and ask if someone there does training, or ask the local health clubs if they have certified trainers (emphasis on certified, not some gum-snapping 19-yr-old in spandex). They should be willing to talk with you once (no/minimal fee) to discuss your needs & goals, and to see if your personalities 'click'.

Do not feel obligated to long/$$ contracts. I see a PT at a local physical therapy office. She sees patients all day and does personal training after hours/weekends. It's pay-as-you-go. I see her every week or two to increase the intensity of the regimen done on other days.

Personal bias (due to results seen): ask if they have/use a Pilates Reformer apparatus. It's great for building core strength and muscle strength/range of motion with essentially no excess joint stress. It's used to rehab people with joint replacements. Too big/expensive for home purchase (and you need continuing ed on how to use it to full capability), but a great tool for a conditioning program.

Working one-on-one with a professional, even just once every couple of weeks:

- hones your technique, which means more efficient/effective exercise while avoiding moves/positions that can cause injury

- provides some motivation for you to stick with it

- tailors your exercise regimen to YOUR changing needs and fitness level.

You don't get that off a video program, and you can do all of this without a huge investment in exercise equipment. Spend the money on good shoes.

Overall, look for lifestyle and activity changes that are sustainable over years. That way, you'll dump the weight, get your muscles and cardio systems in shape, and maintain that over the long term.

Good luck!

Edited by FranDoc

A friend of mine has this system and is trying to do it.

It is intense. Hard workouts. If you do it yes it will work.

You might as well go to Boot Camp! :surprise:

I know with the ware and tear my body already has on it. :wacko:

I could not do the power 90 workout.

I try to eat well, and I’m lucky enough to have an indoor pool within a short drive from my work. So I swim 500 Yds at lunch. And can still eat my, sensible lunch at my desk.

With time and reality that is what I know I can achieve.

I’m as good once as I ever was.

Yes yes just like the song. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input guys! Fran Doc, I am trying some lifestyle/habit mods. I work at a hospital and I'm trying to take the stairs unless I'm transporting a patient. If my unit is slow enough at night, I go out and walk the parking building. 8 levels up and down plus once around the block = 1 mile. It usually takes me about 20 minutes. M ammo, good luck to your friend; I've tried the workouts but not steadily or consistiently. The aerobics kick my butt more then anything else. I'm kind of re-assured to hear it is hard for someone else, I was begining to think it was just me! Jake, I really feel that I'm just not at a base level of conditioning where I could do CrossFit without risk of injury. I haven't worked out routinely in years and, although I have retained some of my gross strength, my flexibility and aerobic endurance are horrible. Add the facts that I'm 41, have hypertension, 5 kids, work nights, and have very little free time I just don't think I'm ready yet. My long term plan is to use the Power 90 program as a springboard to other avenues. I am very intrested in the Paleo diet and the link on that sight to the low glycemic index foods. Thanks again for the advice, now it's bedtime!

Fran is on point as usual. The thing a video program doesn't give you is the accountability that working with someone will.... Getting off the couch is a big step - altering your diet will drop the weight faster than anything else (of course, you have to want to make that change, and you have to stick with it to start seeing results).

The truth of it, though, is that intense workouts can be scaled (through various methods) to match your current level of ability. Fear is all that's in your way, there.... Doing the work - at whatever capacity you are able - will lead to improvement, in terms of cardio endurance, muscular strength, body composition, and overall work capacity... In other words, you'll get skinnier, be stronger, and be able to handle higher intensity if you simply start doing stuff at lower intensity at the level you can currently handle.

I can't agree with Fran more that at least doing some amount of 1-1 with a pro trainer (CrossFit or not) will set you on a good path towards having proper form, and having some accountability to get out there and do it - when you wake up and feel like not working out, many times its the thought of disappointing the "coach" or whatever that can spurn you on... ;)

Thanks Jake and XRe. The video link is truly a reality check. If that lady can start on CrossFit, I know I can. I truly hope she is still with the program and acheveing her goals for not only her self image, but also her health. Good luck to her and keep up the hard work, it will pay off! XRe is right, the only thing standing in my way is fear. Basically, I'm afraid that if I injure myself it will have an adverse effect (especially financially) on my family. I will get with a friend of mine who runs outpt PT at the hospital and see if he can help me with a little 1 on 1 physical therapy and personal training. I'll think about the choice the rest of tonight and look at the CrossFit site again and make a decision in the AM. I'll let y'all know and thanks for the advice and encouragement.

... Add the facts that I'm 41, have hypertension, 5 kids, work nights, and have very little free time ...

Ah, night shift. BTDT - 7 yrs in ER. This means that your usual sunlight-driven circadian rhythm is never in sync with what your activity level and fuel intake need to be. This makes weight management and exercise difficult, but not entirely impossible.

Experiment with exercise at different times of the day -- when you're first off work, when you get up from sleeping, right before you go to work, etc. Realize that what works in the summer -- longer days, kids are home, etc -- may not work in mid-winter. Listen to your body, adapt the regimen based on that.

Good luck. Tough challenge. You CAN do this!

Yeah, did ER and now do the Surgical ICU. You're absoutley right about my body rhythms being messed up. I think that I'm going to try going to bed and waking up earlier. When I dry fire or work out after work it seems to give me trouble sleeping. I start this afternoon and I will make this happen both to improve my health and my shooting. By the way, I decided to do Power 90 program since I already have the money invested. Let's see how it works. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note. I did the first week of Power 90. The aerobics still kick my butt and I truly detest hopping around like a bunny rabbit. That said, I lost 4 pounds last week (down to 291#on the same scale, clothes etc.) I hope this isn't just a fluke and I can continue on this path. I am changing my diet some, no fast food, fried food, etc and trying not to add any salt to what I do eat. I suspect some of my wt loss is "water weight" due to lowering sodium consumption, but I'll take yes for an answer. I'm trying to do this program slowly so that I can avoid burnout, injury and make this a lifestyle change and not just a fad routine. I'll keep posting my results and progress.

• 3 months later...

dsb45acp,

How about an update?

I started doing P90X awhile back because it looked like fun. It's still fun. I can't do everything, but Tony Horton has at least one of his folks showing you how to do the exercises if your skill level is not there yet or you have physical limitations like bad joints. He also stresses throughout the video that you don't hurt yourself. It's okay not to be in perfect form at first. You'll get there. Same with number of reps and speed. The variety of programs is good for keeping my interest. It kicks my butt, but I love them anyway. I have a partner who works out with me. I also have a couple of transient partners who come in and work a couple of times a week. It's fun and heartening to see all of the big in-shape guys collapse on the floor from the strain of an exercise when it's done. Let's me know I'm not just being a weenie. :blush::bow:

When we do the KenpoX workout I have yet to get all the combined punches correct. I end up looking like such a dork. I look over at my partner and we end up laughing when the workout is done. I'm lovin' it!

One thing to keep in mind, you need to eat more to lose the weight. I'm working on that. One of our guys was working out with us and couldn't lose any weight. Came to light during a fitness review panel that his body was in starvation mode. They upped his food intake and he lost 20 pounds in about three weeks. :cheers:

P90x Plus, on the other hand, is an whole different bird in the world of kicking my butt. I am definitely ready for it yet. :ph34r:

Liota

Co-worker and I have been doing P90X for three weeks now. The week before I started the training, I ran the 9/11 memorial 5k in my 60+lbs of body armor and ammo in 40 minutes. I couldn't finish any of the initial workout tapes in week one. They are pretty tough, but you do what you can and adjust accordingly. I haven't lost a single pound in three weeks of doing P90X, but there is an obvious physical difference. A lot more muscle, and less fat; definately more definition. I find the Yoga the most challenging (and yet I feel really good after doing the workout). I am far from flexible <_< . I see improvement every week on every workout.

It really boils down to a couple basic things. First and foremost you have to commit longterm to wanting the change in lifestyle. If you can do that, controlling diet and regularly exercising gets you the rest of the way. The taped workouts are simply a way of ensuring you have a well rounded system of working out, and the feedback necessary to monitor progress. If you are working out to P90X and it's working for you, stick with it for the long haul. It's a pretty good system as far as I can tell.

I wouldn't recommend P90X for just anyone though. If one has a chronic disablility of some sort, like back or knee problems, I would not do P90X. The Plyometric training alone could be seriously bad ju-ju.

Well, good news and bad news. I started the program and cut back on my caloric intake. I had major improvements in my strength and was jogging instead of doing the aerobics. Lost 15 pounds, won "B" class at a local match and won a stage (classifier no less) at another. For me, improvoing my fitness was really paying dividends. Then, as usual, my karma caught up with me. Tweaked my back at work and it took me out of the program for about 2 weeks. Stupidly, I tried to work out once before I was healed and ended up in the Urgent Care Clinic next day barely able to move. Then my wife and I started having major marital problems and problems with the kids. Long story short, I was asked to move out. We are in counseling now along with the oldest son and it has helped but I'm still not back home yet. I really do want to get back into the program, but just haven't had the motivation lately. I've gained back 2 pounds so far. I'm going to try to start working out again because I discovered I enjoyed it and right now I need something to enjoy and hopefully make me feel better about myself. Anyway, shooting is out for the rest of the year (my choice) while I work on mending my family. Hopefully, I can start working out again and be ready to kick butt next year. Thanks for the intrest and I'd appreciate any kind thoughts, prayers or encouragement. I'll shut up now before anybody asks me if I want some cheese with my whine :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work! I've put on a ton of weight since returning from Afghanistan, but am now working with a great trainer (actually one of the strength coaches for the Sac Kings & Monarchs). I still think I can make Master by the end of the year, so...we'll see.

Good luck and stay focused. It's worth it in the end.

Rich

Wow. You certainly have your hands more-than-full. Weight loss is taking a back seat to the other necessities of life at present.

You may find that exercise helps keep your head level while under stress. Do what makes you feel good/better without feeling like you need to meet any other performance expectations.

Good luck. Tough road ahead.

I really do want to get back into the program, but just haven't had the motivation lately. I've gained back 2 pounds so far. I'm going to try to start working out again because I discovered I enjoyed it and right now I need something to enjoy and hopefully make me feel better about myself. Anyway, shooting is out for the rest of the year (my choice) while I work on mending my family. Hopefully, I can start working out again and be ready to kick butt next year.

I think you would like this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Revolutionary-...6780&sr=8-1

It has a lot about how exercise affects your mind, mood, etc., besides making you more fit.

Thanks for the updates, guys. dsb45acp, keep going. Do the workouts. Visit the beachbody website and www.wowy.com. You'll be surprised how much help is on the site.

I, much like Sean, haven't lost squat for weight. I have, however, lost an inch off my waist in the short few weeks I've been serious about this. It drove my PT test score up to just over 90%. I love it. :)

Liota