Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1050 Powder Bar

I have a RL1050. I am using the powder bar that came with it. I use VV320 powder.

I experience some variations in the amount of powder that drops into the case.

Am I being to anal to expect there to be very and I mean very little variance?

Over ten measures, I can get 4.89 grains. But sometimes it will go to 4.91 and down to 4.85. So is +/- .03 too much. I am averaging a PF of 169-171.

Has anyone tried the aftermarket powder bars? Do they throw a more consistent charge?

In your examples, you show a 0.06 variation. That's less than .1 grains in a pistol caliber. The best single stage powder measures might only guarantee to within .1-.2 grains of accuracy. What's your velocity variation? 20-50fps?

Rich

I have a RL1050. I am using the powder bar that came with it. I use VV320 powder.

I experience some variations in the amount of powder that drops into the case.

Am I being to anal to expect there to be very and I mean very little variance?

Over ten measures, I can get 4.89 grains. But sometimes it will go to 4.91 and down to 4.85. So is +/- .03 too much. I am averaging a PF of 169-171.

Has anyone tried the aftermarket powder bars? Do they throw a more consistent charge?

That's extremely acceptable.

I tell folks to take the average from 4 charges, when you're fine tuning the powder charge. Don't even weigh single charges when you're getting close to your final adjustment. You'll save your self a lot of time and aggravation doing it that way. A tenth of a grain this way or that way is one of things that just doesn't matter.

be