Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being Under House Arrest.....

bountyhunter

So, the latest tally is that there are 800 wildfires burning in California. No, that's not a misprint, I wrote 800. Most were set by the recent freak dry lightning we had thanks to the unbelievably hot weather and low humidity.

The smoke is so thick it actually looked like fog whern I got up, but it was pure smoke. I had to drive to my mom's house Saturday so I had about four hours of outdoor exposure and my eyes nearly swelled shut from the reaction to the particulate matter in the air and smoke. Sunday I mostly could not see, so I stayed in and put ice on my eyes. Today I had outside exposure for about an hour and my eyes are completely filled with brown slime. If I wash it out, it comes back in 30 seconds and the eye wash burns like tear gas.

No end in sight on the smoke, they are warning people to avoid exposure. Guvnuh Arnie not only declared Kali a disater area, he is begging help from the neigboring states in fighting the fires.

And, the cost has been astronomical and there is no more money to pay for it. But, you'll love this part: since Arnie is a republican, he will NEVER EVER impose new taxes.....

so, he's calling it a FEE instead. :roflol:

At any rate, they are going to have to raise revenue to pay for the cost of all this.

This post is done, I can't see thekwys any more.

i can actually see some blue sky this morning...but there's a lingering "liquid smoke" flavor to my toothpaste as well. it sux. reminds me of L.A.

Is the smoke killing your eyes too? I have steroid inhalers that (so far) are working on my asthma, but me eyes are so swollen it's like I was in tear gas, the burning is horrible. I have been icing them and popping benadryl every two hours. I can't keep them clean, it's like having maple syrup in my eyes.

Yeah, the smoke is pretty bad here too.. it's been "Foggy" all week. I saw the moon and a little blue sky this morning at home.. but.. that damn fog is back.. I am really tired of not seeing blue sky..

ugh,

and the forecast calls for scattered dry lightning over the weekend..

Yeah, the smoke is pretty bad here too.. it's been "Foggy" all week. I saw the moon and a little blue sky this morning at home.. but.. that damn fog is back.. I am really tired of not seeing blue sky..

ugh,

and the forecast calls for scattered dry lightning over the weekend..

Yep. At last count there were over 1000 wildfires going, most are going to be left to run their course because they can't cover them. The dry lightning will start even more.

Believe it when I say your smoke is thick up HERE, TOO. Started yesterday. I had to postpone a couple of outdoor photoshoots this weekend because the air quality was so bad... and it got much worse TODAY. :unsure: Bummer for all of us.

Believe it when I say your smoke is thick up HERE, TOO. Started yesterday. I had to postpone a couple of outdoor photoshoots this weekend because the air quality was so bad... and it got much worse TODAY. :unsure: Bummer for all of us.

News said there are currently over 1400 wildfires burning in kali right now. Something like 600 square miles have been burned up.

Problem in the Bay Area is we have major fires burning right above AND below us, so we are getting smoked like a side of ribs regardless of which way the wind is blowing.

Edited by bountyhunter

I feel for you Bountyhunter. :( We have an aircraft and crew from the Oregon Army Guard down there right know trying to help. Out of the 27 Fires listed 21 of them are Complex fires, which means more than one lone fire.

You can get info from here National Interagency Fire Center.

I will probably be down there as a relief pilot before to long. I usually can't plan any vacations in the summer months, just because of fire fighting. What's worse is with the low visibility we can't get out to fly on the fires, so we end up sitting useless. You would be suprised at how ineffective 2000 gallons of water can be on a hot fire. But it always makes it worth while, when you are dropping water on a line protecting homes and property and see that you stopped the fire or put it out.

I feel for you Bountyhunter. :( We have an aircraft and crew from the Oregon Army Guard down there right know trying to help. Out of the 27 Fires listed 21 of them are Complex fires, which means more than one lone fire.

You can get info from here National Interagency Fire Center.

I will probably be down there as a relief pilot before to long. I usually can't plan any vacations in the summer months, just because of fire fighting. What's worse is with the low visibility we can't get out to fly on the fires, so we end up sitting useless. You would be suprised at how ineffective 2000 gallons of water can be on a hot fire. But it always makes it worth while, when you are dropping water on a line protecting homes and property and see that you stopped the fire or put it out.

We definitely appreciate all the help we are getting.

BTW, the weather is about to toggle back to HELL MODE in case you haven't heard. Inland high temps are about 90 today, will be holding at 100 or more for at least the next six days. With the low humidity and offshore wind, it's Satan's Breath again.