Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Tactical 45acp/CDP?

kimberacp

Can you get one with a barrel bushing? It's not a listed option. Anyway, STI lists it as being only IPSC and USPSA legal. That's probably due to the bull barrel being standard on it. It also may be too heavy. 35.1 ounce without mag. You only get 41 with an empty magazine.

If you prefer a doublewide grip to a single stack, then an STI Eagle would be your best bet. Load major PF and 8 rounds for CDP. Load minor PF and 10 rounds for ESP.

If they will sell you a 5" with bushing barrel, it should go.

An empty STI 12x.45 magazine weighs 3.4 ounces, for a total of only 38.5.

But I am not Robert Ray nor a lawyer, so be sure before you buy.

The Tackytickle 4.15 would be alowed the bull barrel but has the verboten full length dust cover.

I have a buildup similar to the Eagle 5.1 that I am using as Steve says, ten .45 Minor for ESP. Fun.

Edited by Jim Watson

What we need is a definition of what is not a full length dust cover. The STI Tactical has a longer than normal dust cover. IDPA simply says it can not have a full length dust cover. So someone takes a full length dust cover and files off 1/32", it technically is no longer full length but most likely would never pass in IDPA. I think its the single stack guys that have a definition that says that the dust cover can't be longer than X measured from the front of the slide stop pin. We need Robert or some one at IDPA HQ to give a similar reference point as to what would be the maximum length before it is considered a full length cover.

What we need is a definition of what is not a full length dust cover. The STI Tactical has a longer than normal dust cover. IDPA simply says it can not have a full length dust cover. So someone takes a full length dust cover and files off 1/32", it technically is no longer full length but most likely would never pass in IDPA. I think its the single stack guys that have a definition that says that the dust cover can't be longer than X measured from the front of the slide stop pin. We need Robert or some one at IDPA HQ to give a similar reference point as to what would be the maximum length before it is considered a full length cover.

+1 write more complete rules, or go back to the "approved handgun list" and update it regularly. There were rumors going around that the new M&P Pro wasn't IDPA legal. The only way we found out that wasn't true was when Gordon C. won SSP DC at Texas State with one and had publicity articles published in various online rags.

There is no need to even mention the dustcover of a CUSTOM defensive pistol. If it fits the box and weighs not over 41 oz, has open sights and no compensation, it ought to be good to go. Doesn't matter how long the dustcover is, what the guide rod is made out of, whether it has a barrel bushing or not, it's CUSTOM. There has always been an arms race in CUSTOM guns.

• 2 weeks later...

Just sent off an email to IDPA HQ about the STI Tactical 4.15 in CDP. Will let everyone know if I get a response. From what I am reading, the bull barrel is allowed as the gun is under 5". The rules, if I remember right, do mention no full length dust covers but my question was does that apply to Commander length guns? Idea being, if you slapped a 5" top end on the Tactical frame, it's not full length.

Asked a similar question months ago to HQ about a 5" Tactical with a bushing barrel and the response was it would be legal (sans the magwell or putting a legal sized one on).

We'll see.

I have a 5.0 Tactical in 9mm. I got it from Dawson Precision, and they turned down the bull barrel to make it a bushing barrel so it would be idpa legal. They charged me $50 to turn down the barrel and fit a bushing.