Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34

leemoe83

I'm running some reloads of 124 gr. Ranier RN and 4.2 gr. of universal through a Glock 34. I had tested several reloads with as low as 3.8 gr. of universal and had no malfunctions. I went to a match yesterday and had several failure to feeds. After the match ran the ammo through all my mags and had the same problem but no problems with factory WWB. The rib on the slide that pushes the round into the chamber was missing the rim and catching the case between the rim and the base. Only thing I can think that might be wrong is that I had some rounds with low charges, but I came home and checked my powder thrower with a Dillon electronic and RCBS beam scale and the charges were very consistent. Compared case dimensions to WWB rounds and they were practically the same. Anybody had this problem before?

I'm running some reloads of 124 gr. Ranier RN and 4.2 gr. of universal through a Glock 34. I had tested several reloads with as low as 3.8 gr. of universal and had no malfunctions. I went to a match yesterday and had several failure to feeds. After the match ran the ammo through all my mags and had the same problem but no problems with factory WWB. The rib on the slide that pushes the round into the chamber was missing the rim and catching the case between the rim and the base. Only thing I can think that might be wrong is that I had some rounds with low charges, but I came home and checked my powder thrower with a Dillon electronic and RCBS beam scale and the charges were very consistent. Compared case dimensions to WWB rounds and they were practically the same. Anybody had this problem before?

What OAL are you running? How about recoil spring, stock? With lighter loads I lightened up my spring.

OAL is about rite, I run 1.145 in my glock. 1.155-1.160 I've had it stick in the mag, my Glocks like a little shorter round.

What kind of crimp? A cheap experiment would be to swap out ot a lighter spring, if it's cycling the hotter loads your spring may be too stout for a lighter load.

The crimp is around .375 to .376, I understand the about the recoil spring but I ran lighter loads without a problem, and I don't get how it misses the rim but will go slide lock when it runs dry.

My first thought was the OAL might be a touch too long for the given bullet profile and you might be getting the ammo straightening out in the mag a couple of rounds deep and jamming causing the rounds above it to not travel high enough to get picked up by the slide when it feeds. Try a shorter OAL length and see if the feeding problems go away. I usually try not to go longer than 1.125 with my glock 9mm rounds. Glocks just seem to like the shorter OAL.

And OAL on WWB is about 1.160.

Look at the bullet profile of a Rainier as compared to those in the WWB. I've noticed that the narrower shoulders that Rainier puts on the bullets don't feed as well when loaded long. Either case, it should be an easy and cheap experiment. Roll 15 rounds short and see what happens.

I loaded up 75 rounds at 1.130 OAL and only had one failure to feed, a significant improvement. I think the problem is my resizing die does not size close enough to the base leaving a slight bulge that prevents the mags to feed correctly. By shortening the OAL it lessens the feed problem. I'm going to order a U-die and seem if that helps, if not, I will just try to find a OAL that works, or change bullets.

I loaded up 75 rounds at 1.130 OAL and only had one failure to feed, a significant improvement. I think the problem is my resizing die does not size close enough to the base leaving a slight bulge that prevents the mags to feed correctly. By shortening the OAL it lessens the feed problem. I'm going to order a U-die and seem if that helps, if not, I will just try to find a OAL that works, or change bullets.

I think all you need is a Lee Factory Crimp die and you should be okay, that's all I use, but U die is good too. The load I've been using for my Glock has given me and my brother thousands of trouble free rounds. (makes me wonder why I gave up my Glock).

Edited by Aristotle

I load some rounds at 1.125, but I will also use the U-die when it comes in and load some rounds long to seem what happens. I'm new to reloading and have been fixing problem after problem, but it has been kinda fun. Only problem is I seem to be spending more time at the reloading bench and less at the range.

I load some rounds at 1.125, but I will also use the U-die when it comes in and load some rounds long to seem what happens. I'm new to reloading and have been fixing problem after problem, but it has been kinda fun. Only problem is I seem to be spending more time at the reloading bench and less at the range.

Entirely normal. Reloading is a learning process. Every time something changes, there is a certain amount of learning that occurs. Every new type of bullet and every reload for a new gun takes a little amount of research and development. It gets easier the more reloading you do and the more scenarios you run into. It's good times.

There's really no reason to load long, especially for a Glock. What I've learned is my OAL is dictated by bullet profile and gun. The Glock for the Rainier Bullets likes it short. But it's all a learning lesson.

Every gun requires a bit of time of discovery. Good luck!

• 3 months later...

I have had similar feeding problems with my G34 when my OAL was 1.145 to 1.150. Since I settled on 1.120 1.125 they have mostly gone away. But, Bullet profile, weak recoil springs, and minimum loads have given me FT's as well. Good luck with finding the right combo.

LarryP