Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berkley Time Warps.......

bountyhunter

Some Berkley students have been protesting the plan to mow down a wooded area to build a new stadium, and true to their tradition: they have staged a "sit in" with some people living in the trees.

Today a judge ordered the stadium project halted as the cops were about to drag the kids out of the trees. Protestors 1, establishment 0.

For the record, most californians view Berserkley the same as a crazy uncle: frequently embarrassed, often amused, sometimes proud. At least the trees are happy today.

Judge Upholds Temporary Injunction Preserving Berkeley Oaks : Indybay

Previous Indybay Coverage Of The Oak Grove Tree-Sits ... 06/16/08 Protest Remembers Woman Shot By Berkeley Police Police State and Prisons | East Bay ...

www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/06/18/18508722.php - 4 hours ago - Similar pages

Edited by bountyhunter

Given where the planned sports facility is to be located, I don't blame the students for not wanting to cut down the old growth oak trees that are all through there. While there's not a lot of open space left on the campus, as someone that was once in the sports architecture business, there are more than a few ways to skin this cat and don't include cutting down what little greenery there is left on the campus and in Berkeley.

Rich

It was a sad day when they started knocking down the green areas on Georgia Tech's campus to start putting up more buildings.... :( Probably wasn't as pretty as the Berkley campus, but... still....

It was a sad day when they started knocking down the green areas on Georgia Tech's campus to start putting up more buildings.... :( Probably wasn't as pretty as the Berkley campus, but... still....

I was just there for a extension course a couple weeks ago and we do business with GTRI. I really do like the older parts of the campus. The new parts have no soul.

Later,

Chuck

They have a football stadium and an indoor sports/arena complex. Like most things, needs change and/or additional uses become necessary and that's one of many reasons prompting the new facility. Basically, I don't see the need and at the risk of sounding like a "tree hugger" I am very much in agreement with the students on this one.

Rich

Does Bezerkley not have a stadium now? Unless it becomes unsafe, it seems to me that the current stadium could in fact be used to play games.

I suspect that they are looking for a "better" place to host the BIG GAME. That would be Cal - Stanford. There are many very wealthy alumni that come to those games and I am sure it is a major revenue source. That, combined with the fact that the weather in Berkeley can be dodgy, they probably want to have more VIP facilities. Just my hunch...

I suspect that they are looking for a "better" place to host the BIG GAME. That would be Cal - Stanford. There are many very wealthy alumni that come to those games and I am sure it is a major revenue source. That, combined with the fact that the weather in Berkeley can be dodgy, they probably want to have more VIP facilities. Just my hunch...

A big +1; all about money, although the current stadium also straddles the Haward fault line.

I took my son and wife to the Berkeley campus to see their T. Rex skeleton in one of their science buildings. The campus is beautiful, and, at least where we were, there was lots of trees and open space.

Local news reports say they are planning to build the new one right on top of a major fault line, which is why it was stopped. Don't know all the details, but (of course) it's all about the money for the school. Football programs are enormously profitable and actually subsidize the other programs of the school, bothj athletic and academic.

I'm glad they stopped too, they don't have to build it there.